Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blinking wifi LED

Beans

Blinking wifi LED

Hi,

I know there have been several threads about the issue that I will be talking about, but studying any of these hasn't lead to a working solution for me.
    I recently purchased a Dell Latitude E6400 and installed Intrepid on it today. Everything is working just fine, but unfortunately the wifi LED is constantly blinking to indicate network traffic rendering my laptop almost inoperable because it is so distracting.
    As has been suggested in another thread I put the following script in /etc/network/if-up.d/ and made it executable.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

if [ "$IFACE" = "wlan0" ]; then
    	for dir in /sys/class/leds/iwl-phy*X; do
    		echo none > $dir/trigger
    	done
    fi
    This is what /sys/class/leds/iwl-phy0\:RX/trigger and /sys/class/leds/iwl-phy0\:TX/trigger look like after disabling and enabling networking:

Code:
    xian@lothlorien:~$ cat /sys/class/leds/iwl-phy0\:TX/trigger 
    [none] AC-online BAT0-charging-or-full BAT0-charging BAT0-full mmc0 phy0rx phy0tx phy0assoc phy0radio rfkill0 
    xian@lothlorien:~$ cat /sys/class/leds/iwl-phy0\:RX/trigger 
    [none] AC-online BAT0-charging-or-full BAT0-charging BAT0-full mmc0 phy0rx phy0tx phy0assoc phy0radio rfkill0
    Before setting up the above script, "none" wasn't in square brackets, though I have no idea as to what that means.
    However, the wifi LED is still blinking annoyingly.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Sir Galahad

Beans

Re: Blinking wifi LED

For some obscure reason, after restarting X for the umpteenth time it seems to be working now.

Beans

I just realized that it blinks again after a reboot. It only stops to blink when I log out of Gnome and log in again.

Any ideas on this?

Beans

Hi

I had a similar problem on a Dell Inspiron 1525.

I installed and ran the application luvcview. Once this had been executed, the problem was solved, apparently permanently.

Baloo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have the same problem, have tried using the trigger = none script, setting the brightness to zero manually...nothing worked.

I also installing luvcview (thought it was strange, since this is a webcam viewing application) and as expected, it didnt work for me...

I am *almost* going back to 8.04...this blinking led thing is one of the many problems I am having with intrepid

Beans

I'm facing the same problem
    The wifi led is blinking and on a laptop this is not very useful.
    I tried a lot "tips" proposed so far I'm out of luck.

My wifi card is a Intel 3945ABG on a dell laptop D620.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Same here with a Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wireless card on a Dell Inspiron E1405 running Intrepid. It is destroying my sanity.

Old school solution: Get some electrical tape and scissors, cut the tape the size of the flashing light. Apply the tape to the flashing light and viola! (This solution brought to you by the blinking 12:00 on VCRs in the 80's.) A higher-tech solution would of course be appreciated.

Beans

Just installed Intrepid on my HP530. I have the same problem with 3945ABG. And at this laptop the wifi led is blue and in front of the screen. You can just imagine how annoying it is.

Beans

hi i can make the file on my desktop but not in etc/network/if-up.d because it says "you are not an owner, so you cannot change these permissions" anyone able to help?

Beans

hi i can make the file on my desktop but not in etc/network/if-up.d because it says "you are not an owner, so you cannot change these permissions" anyone able to help?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast