Thread: orange mobile usb modem with ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question orange mobile usb modem with ubuntu

i have noticed here in the uk that orange are offering their usb mobile broadband package together with a 'free' elonex one laptop.

the laptop is running ubuntu, so would this modem work on any ubuntu or it's derivatives laptop? or have orange/elonex got some special drivers for this?

the modem is the option icon 225, which is different from the huawei modems that most of the others seem to use

if anybody has any info it would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: orange mobile usb modem with ubuntu

This is going to make your day

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=736977

It works perfectly, I get stupidly high connection speeds and on the unlimited tariff, never have to worry, it's sweet...

You're looking for VMZ's post about half way down the page...

let us know if it works!

yes, it uses the hso driver. The first ones use the pharscape dialer, the later ones use a new dialer that calls either the hso module or wvdial for the huawei and novatel models.

Incidentally it is not the Elonex One, it is the Elonex webbook. Very different beasts altogether. The One is the £99 laptop with the detachable keyboard and the computer behind the screen. The webbook is a more traditional clamshell form-factor with the computer under the keyboard.

Beans

I have an Elonex webbook, and apart from the xorg.conf file it's standard Heron. I've not tried it but http://www.geeksquadwiki.com/gsw/ind..._with_3G_Modem is the help to get back on-line after a re-install.

Jim Deakin