Thread: decent blogging software

Beans

decent blogging software

Anyone know a decent blog software, wordpress is kinda annoying and ugly to use...

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: decent blogging software

In my opinion WordPress is great as long as you make your own themes.

The 2.3 admin panel took a little while to get used to, as I'm sure the 2.5 one will, but once you do it's a very nice piece of software to use and one worth sticking with.

Beans

The webbrowser Flock (www.flock.com) is a great web 2.0 browser w/ integration to wordpress, facebook, youtube, del.icio.us, gmail and many more.

try it out and see 4 urself.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alphanaut View Post
    The webbrowser Flock (www.flock.com) is a great web 2.0 browser w/ integration to wordpress, facebook, youtube, del.icio.us, gmail and many more.

try it out and see 4 urself.
    thanks but i mean blogging software for a website not desktop , guess i will just go with wordpress

Beans

I'm just about to set up a blog for a friend of mine using WP, and I'm curious to know what you found annoying about it?
    The former asjdfwejqrfjcvm msz34rq33
    UbuntuForums member #98464 | Ubuntu Help & Support
    Never run any command unless you understand exactly what it will do. [link]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by ELD View Post
    Anyone know a decent blog software, wordpress is kinda annoying and ugly to use...
    you could always try MT. I used to really like moveable type when I hosted my own blogs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use wordpress, and find that it suits my needs.
    Also, I will not be upgrading to any newer versions, due to the weird looking dashboard....
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

WordPress allows you to customize the look and feel as much as you want. There are many different themes you can install, and you can create your own theme, too, or tweak existing themes if you know CSS.

Beans

I'm interested in customizing my blogging software. And, I'm more interested in ruby than PHP. So, I'm looking at mephisto and typo. typo is definitely under more active development, but mephisto already has a multi-site feature working (multiple blogs with one mephisto install).

I was told in IRC that the typo group implemented multi-site, but the lead developer yanked it all out because it was starting to make the code look sloppy. If they can't implement multi-site well, this kind of concerns me as to the quality of code in typo that I'd be customizing. So, I'm going to look into mephisto first. I could be wrong here, this opinion is just based on antecdotal evidence.

There are other really good blogging tools than Wordpress that are written in PHP. But, I don't remember any one of them. Maybe check in #wordpress on irc.freenode.org. Those guys are aware of the other ones. Don't be shouting out how annoying wordpress is though. They won't like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by asjdfwejqrfjcvm msz34rq33 View Post
    I'm just about to set up a blog for a friend of mine using WP, and I'm curious to know what you found annoying about it?
    you will find it annoying when your friends stop using the blog
    Totally shifted to ubuntu. Making my girl friend to do the same.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    my path for an engagement ring.