Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorola w385 and moto4lin on Gutsy

Beans

Motorola w385 and moto4lin on Gutsy

Hello,

So I looked all over the place and couldn't find out why when I plugged my phone w385 in I didn't get the /dev/ttyACM0, I had deduced that could be tied to why moto4lin and my phone just generally hated each other as well. It kind of drove me insane getting it to work, so in my attempt to save the sanity of at least one other person, this is what I did:

First, I installed the moto4lin package with apt-get.
    Code:
    $~sudo apt-get install moto4lin
    Then, I tried everything I could find in a bunch of forums, wikis, and whatnot.
    Code:
    Used Google a bunch. Did a lot of trial and error.
    Ended up doing this:

Code:
    $~lsusb
    Which returned:
    Code:
    Bus 003 Device 005: ID 1058:0903 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. 
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    Bus 001 Device 020: ID 22b8:2b44 Motorola PCS 
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    The red numbers are apparently vendor and product id numbers:

Code:
    ~$sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x22b8 product=0x2b44
    Which ends up changing the product number to 2b41 and giving me a /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1.
    So I tell moto4lin that it's on /dev/ttyUSB0, that the AT Vendor and Product is 22b8 and 2b44, and the p2k Vendor and Product is 22b8 and 2b41. It can't find the phone model, and I've only tried to put ringtones on. I'll throw one of those edit marks on here if I come across any issues. Lemme know if it works. Or also, if I did this for no reason.
    Last edited by joeerror; December 20th, 2007 at 10:49 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Motorola w385 and moto4lin on Gutsy

thanks a lot that worked great, I just got that phone the other day. I didn't try transferring ring tones yet but pictures worked fine. There are ways to load the usbserial driver with that type of device automatically with udev or something. I think I did it with wacom tablets before, I'll post it if I figure it out

Beans

I'm trying to do this with a Moto W490. How did you know what the P2K numbers were?

Beans

I've tried joeerror's steps and while it connects, that's about all it can do - it not only can't get phone model, but drive name, file count, or anything else.

Could this have something to do with the fact that it's a Verizon phone and they lock it down? I'd love to be able to get my images - and ringtones would be great!

Thanks in advance

Jim Stanley

Beans

Sorry for lagging guys. I'm kind of a skitzo when it comes to my internet behavior, anyways. In attempt to touch up...

uuser: with moto4lin settings->preferences->update list showed me the same numbers as with lsusb, in my case after I sent the initial modprobe lsusb then showed different numbers then moto4lin did, so I just punched in the new numbers that lsusb gave me for the p2k info and it worked.

jim: I would imagine so, my phone is through metropcs and thus cdma. The features I have access to even with moto4lin are very few. Just pictures and ringtones. I would hope at some point there's eventually better support, I'm not familiar with seem editing but perhaps there's some of those hardcore phone guys that may be able to help a bit more then myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've tried joeerror's steps and while it connects, that's about all it can do - it not only can't get phone model, but drive name, file count, or anything else.

Could this have something to do with the fact that it's a Verizon phone and they lock it down? I'd love to be able to get my images - and ringtones would be great!

Thanks in advance

Jim Stanley
    I was having the same problem, it was a permissions problem. Try running moto4lin with sudo. That did the trick for me

Beans

Wow, that worked! Thanks.

It also helps when you click the Update List button, too. <g>

Jim Stanley

Beans

Wow, I'm really enjoying the access to the phone, and am especially happy that I can get to areas that Verizon doesn't allow its vendors to access.

So.... next questions:

From what I can glean from searching around, sudo modprobe loads a usbserial into the kernel. I kind of assume that the usbserial with the vendor ID's enable something, but am not sure what it is, and also why do the ID's change when you execute the modprobe?

Also, it looks like it's possible to create a rule in /etc/udev/rules.d to automatically execute the modprobe when the phone is plugged in? There's a file in rules.d called 90-modprobe.rules that you could possibly add on to. Has anyone tried that? I can give it a go when I have some time (a rare commodity),

Thanks to all again.

Jim Stanley

P.S. Have noted the images from the camera can get really pixellated - they wouldn't have some sort of algorithm that smooths things out?

P.P.S. Where's the contact list? Haven't searched for it thoroughly, but.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

i use KRZR K3 andi did everything right, but when it tries to connect to /dev/ttyACM0 it connects and unpluggs the phone! what do i do?
    CPU: Asus G1 Laptop, Nvidia GeForce 7700 512Mb, 2GB RAM, 160GB Sata Disk.
    OS: Archlinux (Core Dump), 2.6.27.7, Xorg 1.5.3, AiGLX 180.11 (1680X1050), CF Git & Awn bzr

Beans

With the info from the beginning of individual rule files, and this (http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html) guide to udev rules this is what I've done.

In the 20-names.rules file what looked like:

Code:
    # Other USB devices, commonly grouped under /dev/usb
    KERNEL=="auer[0-9]*",                   NAME="usb/%k"
    KERNEL=="cpad[0-9]*",                   NAME="usb/%k"
    KERNEL=="dabusb[0-9]*",                 NAME="usb/%k"
    KERNEL=="hiddev[0-9]*",                 NAME="usb/%k"
    KERNEL=="legousbtower[0-9]*",           NAME="usb/%k"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", KERNEL=="lp[0-9]*",  NAME="usb/%k"
    Now looks like:

Code:
    # Other USB devices, commonly grouped under /dev/usb
    KERNEL=="auer[0-9]*",                   NAME="usb/%k"
    KERNEL=="cpad[0-9]*",                   NAME="usb/%k"
    KERNEL=="dabusb[0-9]*",                 NAME="usb/%k"
    KERNEL=="hiddev[0-9]*",                 NAME="usb/%k"
    KERNEL=="legousbtower[0-9]*",           NAME="usb/%k"
    # For my motorola w385
    KERNEL=="ttyUSB[0-9]*",                 NAME="usb/%k"
    # Done with the w385 for now.
    SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", KERNEL=="lp[0-9]*",  NAME="usb/%k"

This was to help my brain organize things a bit, and to play with udev rules. I now have /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 and /dev/usb/ttyUSB1

Then I did this:

Code:
    udevinfo -a -p $(udevinfo -q path -n /dev/usb/ttyUSB0)

Which gave me a lot of info, I just ended up using this info:

Code:
    ATTRS{product}=="Motorola W385"
    I then added to close to the end of the 90-modprobe.rules:

Code:
    # w385 stuff..
    ATTRS{product}!="Motorola W385", GOTO="w385_end"
    RUN+="/sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0x22b8 product=0x2b44"
    LABEL="w385_end"
    Which seems to work... Now for the permissions.

This I appended to 40-permissions.rules:

Code:
    #w385 stuff...
    KERNEL=="ttyUSB[0-9]*",                 GROUP="usb"
    KERNEL=="ttyUSB[0-9]*",                 MODE="0666"
    Ok, so now I think I have udev calling the modprobe for the device and creating /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 with permissions for users in the group usb to access it. I think. So then I:

Code:
    sudo invoke-rc.d udev restart
    Success! udev is doing what I want it to.

Then I run moto4lin, reconfigure it, and bam! It doesn't work. all the udev stuff looks to be correct... but I seem to have broken my **** somehow. Anyways, baby steps...

Oh, and also, I did add a group called usb, and put myself in it.
    Last edited by joeerror; January 30th, 2008 at 01:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast