Thread: Ubuntu FIPS libssl1.1 update breaks diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256 key exchange

Beans

Ubuntu FIPS libssl1.1 update breaks diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256 key exchange

I have Ubuntu 18.04 FIPS running via cloud provider marketplace image. Recently the libssl1.1 package was updated, from libssl1.1/now 1.1.1-1ubuntu2.fips.2.1~18.04.3.1 to 1.1.1-1ubuntu2.fips.2.1~18.04.6.2 amd64.

After this update was applied, connecting to the system via ssh -o KexAlgorithms=diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256 user@host fails, with the following in the ssh server log:

Nov 10 00:04:05 <name redacted> sshd[24359]: FIPS mode initialized
    Nov 10 00:04:05 <name redacted> sshd[24359]: ssh_dispatch_run_fatal: Connection from <ip redacted> port 12076: error in libcrypto [preauth]

I looked in the changelog for the package and did not note anything that directly applied to this algorithm. It looks like unintended behavior.

We require this KEX algorithm because it is the only one with overlap from a system we do not have control of.

Anyone else run into this?

The old version does not appear in the output of apt-list -a, apt-cache madison, and downgrade attempts do not work.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mgman2; November 10th, 2021 at 09:04 PM. Reason: attach debug log

Beans

Re: Ubuntu FIPS libssl1.1 update breaks diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256 key exch

Yes having the same error in an ubuntu18 fips image.
    error in libcrypto [preauth]

Beans

Re: Ubuntu FIPS libssl1.1 update breaks diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256 key exch

I am facing similar issues after upgrading libssl. I am unable to connect to any service over SSL/HTTPS. Were you able to find a fix?

Beans

Were you able to fix the issue? I am having similar issues as well.