Thread: Need help creating Ubuntu Studio Bootable Drive in windows

Beans

Question Need help creating Ubuntu Studio Bootable Drive in windows

I am new to this forum and new to Ubuntu Studio. I purchased a Surface Pro not realizing it only had an M3 processor. I have always used Corel software for image and video editing, the software will not run on this device. Years ago I toyed with GIMP, which was amazing, but since I was already familiar with all the Corel software, I did not get familiar with other software. I recently read about Ubuntu Studio and bootable flash drives, however I have never tried anything like this. It appears it would be possible to produce a bootable thumb drive to boot and run from. I have a 64GB thumb drive. I would like to be able to insert the thumb drive into any machine, boot into Ubuntu Studio, store all files I create on the thumb drive and never make any changes to the machine or its drives. I do not know what all is in the ubuntustudio-18.04-dvd-amd64 iso file I downloaded, All of my current devices are 64 bit, I due believe this disto will only work on 64 bit devices. I will probable need to add programs and drives, which I would like to be added to the thumb drive each use so I do not have to add them next use. I am just an old windows user and do not know much about anything else, but it is past time to learn. I have many questions and could use some help! Is this the appropriate place to ask these questions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Re: Need help creating Ubuntu Studio Bootable Drive in windows

You can use rufus to burn an iso to your thumb drive. Hopefully you can boot from usb.

Beans

I download rufus, but not sure what I am doing, I see post about casper-rw and ext1, ext2... I want to use the thumb drive as if it were the computers hd, keeping any drivers or programs I add as well as storage for my work. I wish I knew more, just trying to lean and not even sure what I need to know let alone what I think I know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Can you try with Linux Live USB creator and see if it is easy for you to understand?
    You can follow this guide which explains how to create a bootable Ubuntu live disk.