Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative software for Adobe Flash Professional

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Lightbulb Alternative software for Adobe Flash Professional

Hello!
    I work mostly on Adobe Flash Professional to create linear and interactive animation clips. I've been using Microsoft Windows as almost everyone around me does. So it is easy for me to collect softwares.

However, I really love the open-source community and the Ubuntu OS. I've been trying to completely move to UbuntuOS, but I couldn't find any alternative software for the works that I do.

Is there any existing open source software I could use as an alternative for Flash?

Here are some key features that I am looking for:

• Export to html5 and video
    • Scripting, for interactive e-cards or games
    • Symbols, groups, layers
    • Easy drawing tool (the ability to modify and create curves and lines using the arrow tools is really helpful)
    • Transparency, blur, shadow effects
    • Tweening

If there isn't any existing software, maybe some of the amazing software developer team of the open-source community could start a project. I'm here to help with my ideas and tips. (I'm neither an expert programmer nor a very rich guy. So I can't donate money or my programming skills.)
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 20th, 2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Please use default size and font. Thanks.

Beans

Re: Alternative software for Adobe Flash Professional

Well I don't think there are any alternatives on Linux/Ubuntu for Adobe Flash Professional. However, it looks like you would be able to run it in WINE or crossover

Adobe Flash Pro

Hope that helps!
    ~Caboose
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: Alternative software for Adobe Flash Professional

The newer versions don't install in WINE (They say there's a workaround, gotta try that).

However I wanted to use only Open Source softwares. I found a project called ELLA. But it seems like that it is discontinued.

Maybe I have to wait till I finish college, learn advanced programming, get some earnings, and work on a project of my own.
    Last edited by M Star; September 20th, 2013 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Didn't check the Wine compatibility page

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why not study HTML5? This blog is a long post but wait until you get to the second page and the heading: The Internet And HTML5 Offer The Only Way In. Do we need a free and open source copy of a proprietary application? Or do we already have the tools to code what will be the alternative to flash - HTML5?

http://readwrite.com/2013/01/04/html...ohZ3UYGHpu3gqa

Again notice the points made in this blog about HTML5 and QT

http://www.linux.com/news/featured-b...on-development

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...-care-about-it

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; September 20th, 2013 at 02:21 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

You could look into this: http://tululoo.com/

It's an HTML5 game development tool like Construct 2 - the only reason I bring this up is because while it's not flash you could probably easily add scene like actions for a limited type of animation.
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans
    Distro

I was looking for a easy tool for "animations". Something that I could use to make animated movie clips and export it as "video" or as "HTML5 animation". In other words, I am looking for a software for both online and offline animation.
    I've looked into "Synfig" but it's not user friendly. I really enjoy the easy drawing tool in Flash (esp. the line bending feature).

Maybe I have to stick with WINE for a while.

Beans

After lot of research, I found some decent alternatives to Adobe Flash Professional. The best one of them are Flash Develop, Ajax Animator and Synfig Studio, but each of them have their limitations.

Flash Develop is essentially an IDE which uses Adobe Flex SDK and lets you build flash applications using Actionscript. Ajax Animator has a graphical interface much like Flash Pro and can also export to .swf besides other formats but it is a web app and not a very mature project. And Synfig Studio is a decent animation software with lot of interesting tools but it lacks the support for .swf format (it may be implemented though as indicated in the their roadmap). There are some other softwares too like KToon/Tupi and Pencil2D which are slowly rising and may provide to be good flash professional alternatives.
    Last edited by howefield; March 7th, 2014 at 11:04 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by saurabh5647 View Post
    After lot of research, I found some decent alternatives to Adobe Flash Professional. The best one of them are Flash Develop, Ajax Animator and Synfig Studio, but each of them have their limitations.

Flash Develop is essentially an IDE which uses Adobe Flex SDK and lets you build flash applications using Actionscript. Ajax Animator has a graphical interface much like Flash Pro and can also export to .swf besides other formats but it is a web app and not a very mature project. And Synfig Studio is a decent animation software with lot of interesting tools but it lacks the support for .swf format (it may be implemented though as indicated in the their roadmap). There are some other softwares too like KToon/Tupi and Pencil2D which are slowly rising and may provide to be good flash professional alternatives.
    Why this fixation on flash and .swf format? it is closed sourced and platform dependent.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Why this fixation on flash and .swf format? it is closed sourced and platform dependent.
    I can understand it to a degree, AIR and Flash is very popular with iOS development seems to be very powerful. For web though I steer clear of it now!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Because he specifically asked for Flash Professional alternatives. If he had asked for open source animation softwares, I would have answered in that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast