Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO install SeaMonkey

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Arrow HOW TO install SeaMonkey

I am still working on my report regarding the installation clean of Dapper Drake 6.06, but in the meantime, here are some notes on SeaMonkey.

SeaMonkey is a worldwideweb browser based on the old Mozilla Application Suite, and includes the browser, the html editor and various other tools, including Personal Security Manager that is installed in a full installation.

It can be downloaded in gz format from http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

++

Installation is relatively simple, and involves using the archive-manager to extract the files to disk, in my case I had created a folder called docs, and a sub folder called tools, and I extracted the files to /docs/tools/seamonkey-installer).

Run
    Code:
    sudo ./seamonkey-installer
    and accept the default installation folder of /usr/local/seamonkey.

Now, the readme accompanying the program says that it must be first run as root. Except this doesn't work. If you do sudo su - and password and then run the shell script, it throws an error GTK+ cannot open display. Run

Code:
    sudo ./seamonkey
    within the installed folder will open the program.

Next, creating a launcher pathed to where the shell script is, and running it doesn't work either. However it will run using sudo.

This led me to suspect a permissions issue. I checked hidden files in my profile and found the ./mozilla folder was root only. I guess this kind of figures. I changed the permissions to let me as a user read/write/execute the folder, then ran the launcher again, and this time it works.

While I expect many users might prefer alternative products, I have found that it is relatively fast when compared to Mozilla, it displays fonts better than Mozilla and is not prone to crashing so often as Firefox.

So far I have bug-reported on the Moz-Bugzilla that SeaMonkey can't cope with aspx pages.

This is my first HOW TO so I welcome feedback.
    Ubuntu 6.06 LTS / VM 128 10 :: Ubuntu 5.10 / VM 128 10 :: Xubuntu 6.06 LTS / VM 128 10 :: Xubuntu Edgy Alpha / VM 128 10
    Get SeaMonkey
    Registered Linux User No: 416960

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: HOW TO install SeaMonkey

How did you end up setting your shortcut ?

for me I just set a launcher with the command /home/myfolder/seamonkey/seamonkey and it seems to open ok after I set up a folder in my home directory and was able to open & install it in there . Not too sure if that is the right way to do it or not , but I dont need to be root to open it

Actually I like it , it is fast , I dont like the favorites setup , but it is passable and I havnt had any crashes yet since using it .
    Last edited by MintabiePete; November 3rd, 2006 at 11:03 AM.

Beans

You should consider doing it the way rcarring did it. That way you can lock the permissions back down after setting it up, Unless you plan to lock down your home folder in like manner. The default is /usr for good reason. You're going to need that security.
    Last edited by Solsticiary; November 29th, 2006 at 11:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Pretty good How-To. I was able to successfully install Seamonkey and set up the launcher in only 3 hours. Brings my Linux experience up to about 7 hours. I had to find a discussion to changing the permissions to ./mozilla and I had to learn how add the launcher to the main menu. Thanx

Beans
    Hidden!

I did it!!!
    to tie up the loose ends:
    Code:
    root@myuser-desktop:/home/myuser# chown -R myuser:myuser .mozilla
    Add at the end of the line: /usr/local/seamonkey

Code:
    root@myuser-desktop:~# nano /etc/environment
    PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/local/seamonkey"
    LANG="es_ES.UTF-8"
    If you dont have access, then add these lines to your ~/.bash_profile
    Code:
    PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/seamonkey
    export PATH
    Finally, restart your X and add the program to your KDE or GNome menu
    copy http://mozilla.nicubunu.ro/sm_remake.svg to your /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/seamonkey.svgz
    Last edited by XandR; December 15th, 2006 at 08:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I tried running the installer, but it is unable to create the directory usr/local/seamonkey. Nor can I create the directory manually - I get atold"permission denied" even though I though I was logged in as the owner. Any idea where I'm going wrong?

I currently have the installer in my Home folder.

Beans
    Hidden!

I tried the last few versions even the beta but all of the segfaults, did anyone encounter this ?
    Why can't technology be as simple as the box it comes in ?

VAIO X505 800g pure Debian.

Beans

"Run
    Code:
    sudo ./seamonkey-installer
    and accept the default installation folder of /usr/local/seamonkey.

Now, the readme accompanying the program says that it must be first run as root. Except this doesn't work. If you do sudo su - and password and then run the shell script, it throws an error GTK+ cannot open display. Run"

Running the install as root dose work. All you have to do is right click and chose run command and type in the command to where you unpacked the SeaMonkey setup files for example
    /home/your name/seamonkey-1.0.7.en-US.linux-i686.installer/seamonkey/seamonkey.than click on
    options run as different user and enter your password After the installation is done you
    have to run SeaMonkey one time as root you enter in the command field /usr/local/seamonkey/seamonkey so it can set up the directories. Also Mozilla has script
    so you can use Seamonkey as a different user, you don't need it. before you get done
    making the link click on "Advance ->run as different user

Suzy

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks I give it a try, as far as I knew there is no root account enabled by default but if that's the price I gladly pay it.

I tried to follow your instructions and it did not work. The seamonkey installer hangs and does not respond if I run it from root account, using sudo or my user account the installer window pops up and disappears after a second.

Any ideas ? Where should I look for the logs ? Tried var/etc/logs but could not find anything relevant.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Kateikyoushi; January 13th, 2007 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Update.

Beans
    Hidden!

Does not seem to work, neither as root nor sudo I get segfault.

I used alien to create a deb from the rpm, it installs the package but it won't run segfault again.

Where should I dig for logs to find out what is wrong ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast