Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Music Beta vs Linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Google Music Beta vs Linux

Got an invite to this but it's still way in beta. First off currently there's no Linux support (not even for Chrome OS) for the Music Manager app that's required to upload your music with. Second Music Manager doesn't support ogg even though both Chrome browser/OS and Android both do.

Now the service is pretty useless if you can't upload music to it, but I was eventually able to get Music Manager working in Linux using Wine. Unfortunately the installer wouldn't work so I had to copy the MusicManager folder from

Users/Yourname/AppData/Local/Programs/Google/MusicManager (do the windows slashes go the other way?) of a windows vm.

It runs (buggy like) in Wine right out of the folder but only seems to upload DRM free mp3 files.

Streaming music is actually pretty nice i really like the interface it's very easy to navigate. It also syncs well with my Droid X. The Music Beta Android app could use some work though.

As a music locker, once they work out all the compatibility issues, this will be top notch. However, Amazon has them beat due to the fact you can buy music from them and you don't need to download an app to upload music so it's currently even more compatible with Google's OS than Google's service is.

Edit: The version of wine in the Ubuntu repo's won't work for this you need 1.3 from the Wine PPA, also it seems to only work on folders filled with drm free mp3 files it hangs forever on any other file type. Also it's a bit buggy sometimes it takes a sec to start uploading.

Here's a link to a Music Manager folder without the installer.

Google Music Manager Without Installer - Kilbasar's link.

Update: Their is now a Native Linux version of Music Manager, the Wine process above is no longer necessary.

http://www.google.com/support/music/...&topic=1100183
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Madspyman; July 22nd, 2011 at 09:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Google Music Beta vs Linux

I just got an invite for Music Beta and am now having the same problem - no Linux version of the Music Manager. Its also a shame that they dont support .ogg files. Come on Google! ChromeOS and Android are both based on Linux. Can't your services play nice with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Glad everyone is getting invites... I signed up for an invite the day it came out and never got one.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zach4618 View Post
    I just got an invite for Music Beta and am now having the same problem - no Linux version of the Music Manager. Its also a shame that they dont support .ogg files. Come on Google! ChromeOS and Android are both based on Linux. Can't your services play nice with Ubuntu?
    Seems Wine is the only way right now and the MusicManager.exe installer doesn't work which is weird. I imagine if I tar'd up the Music Manager program folder it would work for anyone willing to install Wine. Google should at least offer a Wine solution until they get their native Linux app out.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

google taking over the world is not a good thing.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Madspyman View Post
    Seems Wine is the only way right now and the MusicManager.exe installer doesn't work which is weird. I imagine if I tar'd up the Music Manager program folder it would work for anyone willing to install Wine. Google should at least offer a Wine solution until they get their native Linux app out.
    Can I take you up on your offer?

Beans
    Distro

i used virtual box to upload stupid music, took forever too. didnt think of using wine, will try it tonight!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Needs wine 1.3 the version in the ubuntu repo wont work.

Beans

Smile Re: Google Music Beta vs Linux

Hi All,

I can confirm that although the installer does not work in Wine, the actual Music Manager works fine (Wine 1.3). I just pulled the files from a VM, and ran them straight from the extracted directory.

So that others don't have to first install it in a VM just to extract the files, here they are.

Google Music Manager Without Installer
    md5: dd76c2d72997aeb6cad682621c9c320e

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Kilbasar; May 26th, 2011 at 07:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I hope Google isn't trying to come up with their own version of iTunes. All we need is a crappy alternative to another crappy concept for software.

And I really hope they're not working this toward forcing us to sync with Android. One of the main things I like about Android is not being tied to something like iTunes.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast