Thread: How to change menu language on 10.04?

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

How to change menu language on 10.04?

I did the upgrade to 10.04 and now all my menus are in Japanese (wifes logon is in japanese but mine was english before). Was language support broken in 10.04? As far as I can tell my language is still set to English, even at the login screen. But everything is still Japanese. Can anyone confirm this problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to change menu language on 10.04?

Yes, I can confirm the same problem with Russian language. And there's no way to change it back.

Beans

Hi,

I had a similar problem. My wife also uses this laptop. We both want a Spanish keyboard, but she wants the menus in Spanish while I prefer them in English. For some reason, after updating to 10.04 my menus were also in Spanish.

In the language support tool I had the following languages (in that order) English (United Kingdom), Spanish, English, but then I always got the menus in Spanish. Moved away Spanish below English and all is fine now. Perhaps the support for UK English is broken?

I don't know if this could solve your problem...

Cheers,
    Ángel de Vicente

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A workaround to change menu language is to manually edit /etc/default/locale.
    For instance, to change everything to English (US) it should look like this:
    LANG="en_US.utf8"
    LANGUAGE="en_US:en"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I also have a similar problem. I am using English Ubuntu and cannot switch the menus to any other language as in previous versions. This is a real pity because I think this was a great advantage of Ubuntu.

Beans

works for me. i have a fresh install of 10.4. I change the settings in 'system-->administration-->language support' to install extra language, then you need to get the language you want to be in the 'not grayed out' zone, so in the pic below only english is active
    after setting the language you want you need to log out and select during login at the bottom bar what language to choose, hope it helps
    Last edited by grooverider; June 15th, 2010 at 06:13 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDudko View Post
    A workaround to change menu language is to manually edit /etc/default/locale.
    For instance, to change everything to English (US) it should look like this:
    But I want the system language in German, yet my own login's menus and foldernames in English.