Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stream audio from iPod touch/iPhone over bluetooth to computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Stream audio from iPod touch/iPhone over bluetooth to computer

Hi, I was wondering if it is currently possible to connect an iPod touch (or iPhone) over bluetooth and have the audio playing on the iPod stream over to the computer.
    In Windows, Windows pretends to be a wireless headset and the iPod recognizes the computer as such and streams the audio over. No applications running; it just works in the background
    Basically, I want to listen to the music, videos, etc. that are on my iPod synced from iTunes in Windows (DRM music, etc.), which cannot be played otherwise, through my computer speakers/headphones in combination with the sounds of other applications.
    I have paired up my iPod with my Ubuntu machine; the Bluetooth Preferences lists it as an audio device and reports it as being connected, but it seems to be just sitting there. PulseAudio/Sound Preferences gives me no options and the iPod doesn't appear to be recognizing the machine as a 'headset' like in Windows but does say it is connected.

Again, just mostly curious. Has anyone tried this?

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Stream audio from iPod touch/iPhone over bluetooth to computer

I really need this too, I have been looking for over a year for a solution. Found this http://nohands.sourceforge.net/config.html
    It stand to reason that if one could have a handsfree experience, then audio should come through. Problem is that it will not even configure on Lucid????

Bump

Beans

Check this out: http://jprvita.wordpress.com/2009/12...4-a2dp-stream/

I haven't tested it yet, but it looks like what we're looking for. Please report back with results.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

^^ This is exactly what i am looking for! However, I cannot find org.bluez.AudioSource in d-feet and I cannot connect org.bluez.Audio. I think the reason for the failed connections has to do with the way Apple implemented A2DP in the iPhone and iTouch. Does anyone have any ideas to force a connection?

BTW, i am using a Broadcom USB Dongle on Ubuntu 10.04. I have had success in Windows Xp streaming from the iPhone to the computer, so I know the Dongle can do it.

Beans

The missing D-Bus AudioSource address might not because of an issue with the iPhone..

I've been fiddling with this, and I've spotted that adding a semi-colon to the end of the Enable=Source; line will not enable the source, and the AudioSource will appear only if you have added 'Enable=Source' alone.

That may be the issue you're experiencing. Generally on mine, the AudioSource.Connect() method appears under the following address:

/org/bluez/942/hci0/dev_00_17_83_D9_FB_B0 -> Interfaces
    Last edited by jackflap; June 17th, 2010 at 10:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

After some more tinkering, I still cannot get org.bluez.AudioSource to appear. There is no semicolon after Enable=Source. I have restarted bluetoothd several times and even rebooted the computer. Still no dice. What version of bluez do I need? I currently have bluez 4.60 .

Beans

Sounds like you might be right that it's an issue with the iphone (which is a shame since I was going to buy an ipod touch just to stream audio to my sound-server).

I'm on the same version of BlueZ as you are, Ubuntu 10.04, BlueZ 4.60 and I've managed to get it working with an Android phone. But the other phone I tried, a Samsung (Symbian S60v3), could see the AudioSource, but couldn't connect properly.

It might be worth testing with another phone and confirming it's definitely an issue with the iphone. I wouldn't know what to suggest if it is though, perhaps just wait for Ubuntu 10.10 to try again?

Alex

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ya, what I think is the iDevice doesn't reveal it supports a2dp unless the remote device is a headset or says its a headset. In windows, that was the only way to stream audio for me. I upgraded bluez to 4.66 to if it will help, but it didn't, now I have to find another phone to see if it will stream. I will report later when i do that. Thanks for your help jackflap!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Stream audio from iPod touch/iPhone over bluetooth to computer

It works! Thanks everyone! jackflap's link worked perfectly! http://jprvita.wordpress.com/2009/12...4-a2dp-stream/
    I've upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04 by now; I have bluez 4.60 and pulseaudio 0.9.21.
    Here's how I did it for my iPod touch (3.1.3) on my Dell Inspiron 1720:
    1. I skipped step one, it was already loaded.
    2. Add "Enable=Source" right under "#Disable=Control,Source" in the "[General]" section.
    3. Restart the computer (to restart all the bluetooth 'stuff')
    4. Pair the iPod touch and the computer by clicking the bluetooth icon -> Set up new device -> Forward. Click PIN options and select '1234', Close. Enable bluetooth on the iPod; on the computer select it in the list, Forward. Type the PIN (1234) on the iPod, Connect.
    5. Install d-feet (from Synaptic) and run it (Applications -> Programming -> D-Feet). Then File -> Connect to System Bus. Under Bus Name select org.bluez and a tree will appear on the right. Under Object Paths, expand the /org/bluez/1464/hci0/dev's until you find the one with Interfaces that have org.bluez.AudioSource. Expand the AudioSource and double-click on Methods -> Connect(). A dialog will appear; just click Execute. It should say 'This method did not return anything' (I had to do it twice the first time.)
    6. Open a terminal (Accessories -> Terminal) and type pacmd and press enter.
    6a. Then type list-sources and press enter. Find the one with device.description = "Name of your iPod" then scroll up to where it says 'name: ' (under 'index: ') and copy the name somewhere without the < and >(mine was bluez_source.00_...)
    6b. Then type list-sinks and press enter. I only had one (ALSA) and copy the name just as before (mine was alsa.output.pci-000_00...)
    6c. Type exit and press enter.
    7. Now type 'pactl load-module module-loopback source=YOURSOURCE sink=YOURSINK' (for me, it was pactl load-module module-loopback source=bluez_source.00_... sink=alsa.output.pci-000_00...) and press enter! Viola! Now the iPod should play through the computer as if it were a headset!

Note: Save the number that returns after pactl. When you disconnect your iPod, type pactl unload-module YOURNUMBER and press enter (it changes everytime; for example: pactl unload-module 25)

megamanexent, you have to connect AudioSource, not Audio.

Tell me if it works with the iPhone 4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you thank you Thank you! Ric123, jackflap

It works for me perfectly on iPhone 3G ( no iPhone 4 till july ). I moved Enable=Source after [General] and AudioSource appeared, I had it at the very top of audio.conf!
    Last edited by megamanexent; June 26th, 2010 at 01:33 AM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast