Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FoxTester: easily install and launch multiple versions of Firefox simultaneously

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

FoxTester: easily install and launch multiple versions of Firefox simultaneously

FoxTester is an extension that allows to Install and launch multiple versions of Firefox while using the default installation and without affecting the default user profile.

http://www.webgapps.org/addons/foxtester
    Last edited by lovinglinux; March 26th, 2011 at 02:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: FoxTester: easily install and launch multiple versions of Firefox simultaneously

This will be perfect for the people who want to try out Firefox Lorentz. Like most I hate it when a tab crashes the whole browser. Thanks in advance for creating this.
    Phenom X4 Quad Core 9950 Black Editon, Geforce 8800GT

Beans
    Distro

Re: FoxTester: easily install and launch multiple versions of Firefox simultaneously

Quote Originally Posted by darrenn View Post
    This will be perfect for the people who want to try out Firefox Lorentz. Like most I hate it when a tab crashes the whole browser. Thanks in advance for creating this.
    Thanks. I had the idea of creating this when testing Lorentz.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Very awesome. Thanks

Edit: I thought I found this bug where FoxTester didn´t work when the Danbooru Downloader addon was installed as well but aparently that was a fluke since I´ve got now both enabled and can´t reproduce it.

FoxTester does hoewer list every file and install twice for me, but that´s hardly minor.

Screenshot:
    http://i41.tinypic.com/jfg7t4.jpg

Also maybe it´s an idea to add an option to copy your current profile/compatible extensions or like you said make the install more permanent.
    Last edited by Toost Inc.; April 12th, 2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: new revelations

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Toost Inc. View Post
    Very awesome. Thanks.
    You are welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Edit: I thought I found this bug where FoxTester didn´t work when the Danbooru Downloader addon was installed as well but aparently that was a fluke since I´ve got now both enabled and can´t reproduce it.
    The problem with Danbooru Downloader could be a compatibility issue, because a couple of functions weren't wrapped in the extension functions and were using common names, so they could conflict with other extensions using similar function names. This has been fixed in the version 1.0.1, which I have uploaded today.

Please let me know if it happens again.

FoxTester does hoewer list every file and install twice for me, but that´s hardly minor.
    Please tell me if you get duplicated records when after restarting Firefox, when you first access the context menu?

I'm asking this because the extension scans for new files and update the database every time you access the menu and rebuild the menu options with all records from the database. So, instead of adding new records to the menu, it actually recreates all menu options on-the-fly. Nevertheless, I was experiencing a similar problem on another extension of mine. I'm still not sure if this is a Firefox bug or if there is something not working on the extension as it should be.

Also maybe it´s an idea to add an option to copy your current profile/compatible extensions or like you said make the install more permanent.
    Both options were initially on the design plan, but the extension started to get bloated and complicated, so I decided to release a simpler version and improve from there, based on the users feedback. So there is a big chance that both features will be implemented in future versions. Thanks for the suggestion.

Beans
    Distro

Warning: FoxTester 1.0.1 is suffering from memory leak when you open several new windows instead of tabs. I know where the problem is, but I don't know yet how to fix it without disabling some functionality. Therefore, I'm putting this extension on inactive status, until I can provide a fully functional version. I recommend disabling this extension until then.

Beans
    Distro

FoxTester 1.0.2 has been released!

This new version brings some important bug fixes and new features. There is no more issues with leaking memory, the file integrity check incompatibilities has been fixed and now you can set any version installed through FoxTester to be your default browser, so you can use it with your Firefox user profile.

See the video demo.

Beans
    Distro

FoxTester has been approved by Mozilla, so now it is available through the Stable Channel and future updates will be available through Firefox add-on manager.

Beans

I set the new firefox 4 beta as default...now I can't use foxtester to revert back to the stable release. Any help on how to do that? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
    I set the new firefox 4 beta as default...now I can't use foxtester to revert back to the stable release. Any help on how to do that? Thanks.
    Code:
    sudo rm -r /opt/firefox
    sudo rm /usr/bin/firefox
    sudo dpkg-divert --rename --remove /usr/bin/firefox
    This will delete Firefox 4 and revert to the default version.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast