Thread: Crontab with SSH Keys?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Crontab with SSH Keys?

So I was under the impression that when you make a crontab as a user, that it runs as that user. But that must not quite be the case.

I have a script that runs rsync to backup some of my data remotely. I log in to the remote machine with SSH-keys (no passwords allowed).

When I run the script from the terminal, it runs fine. But when I run the script from cron nothing happens.

If cron runs as the user who owns the crontab(which I thought it did), why isn't it finding my ssh private key?

Anyway, doing some searching I found a few sites that suggest doing something like the following.

Code:
    rsync -av --delete -e "ssh -i /home/user/.ssh/id_rsa" mydir user@remotehost:/home/user/backupDir
    So if I put that into my rsync file, And then run that file from my crontab, will it work?

I'm not at home so I can't test it right now.

But more importantly, is there any security issues with doing that? I can't forsee one?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Crontab with SSH Keys?

By far and away the most common reason why cron (crontab) fails is that cron uses a minimal shell, so you need to use the full path to everything, commands and the location of ssh keys.

If the key has an empty password you should be fine. If the key requires a password you will need to pass the passphrase in some way (expect).
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by NertSkull View Post
    If cron runs as the user who owns the crontab(which I thought it did), why isn't it finding my ssh private key?
    Your authenticated ssh key is held by a process named ssh-agent. When ssh-agent was started, it gave you some environment variables, which you can see from the command line with "env | grep SSH". These environment variables tell ssh how to contact ssh-agent. When you run ssh from cron, it does not have the SSH environment variables to tell it how to find ssh-agent. And when you log off, ssh-agent exits. When you log back on, you get a new ssh-agent and different environment variables.

The bottom line is that you cannot do what you want from cron, unless you could arrange for an always-on, always-authenticated ssh-agent. But there's no way to do that without prompting the user for a passphrase. What if you created a key with no passphrase? I'm not sure if that would work but it's probably not a good idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

So I'm home now and tried what I put above and I still have no success.

I didn't say before, but I do have my SSH keys set up with NO password. I can ssh into the remote machine without typing any password, just using keys.

I don't know if this means anything, but I ran my rsync script from a terminal logged in as root (assuming thats what cron kind of does) and I got the following error.

Code:
    Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
    rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(600) [sender=3.0.6]
    So I changed my rsync to be really verbose when running (again as root) and this is the output I get

Code:
    cmd=ssh machine=***DOMAIN*** user=**USER*** path=///cygdrive/h/Backup/Documents/weekly/
    cmd[0]=ssh cmd[1]=-l cmd[2]=**USER*** cmd[3]=***DOMAIN*** cmd[4]=rsync cmd[5]=--server cmd[6]=-vvvvlogDtpre.iLs cmd[7]=--log-format=%i cmd[8]=--delete-after cmd[9]=. cmd[10]=///cygdrive/h/Backup/Dan/Documents/weekly/ 
    opening connection using: ssh -l **USER*** ***DOMAIN*** rsync --server -vvvvlogDtpre.iLs "--log-format=%i" --delete-after . ///cygdrive/h/Backup/Documents/weekly/ 
    note: iconv_open("UTF-8", "UTF-8") succeeded.
    _exit_cleanup(code=12, file=io.c, line=600): entered
    _exit_cleanup(code=12, file=io.c, line=600): about to call exit(255)
    I don't really understand environment variables as well as I probably should. But I did the "env | grep SSH" as suggested and got these variables

Code:
    SSH_AGENT_PID=2921
    SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-uVu2Tn/socket.ssh
    So I was wondering. What if I define the SSH_AUTH_SOCK in my script, and that didn't do anything (I assumed I couldn't really define the SSH_AGENT_PID since that probably changes)

Any thoughts on what to do next? I'm sure I just don't fully understand cron. But the script works just GREAT when I run from a terminal as myself as user.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Refer to this thread as it may be of some help:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=238672

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

SUCCESS.

It appears I had forgotten to get the full path to SSH as well. You need to have full paths to SSH, rsync, and the key file location.

So if you get full paths to all parts it works well.

Thanks all.