UPDATED POST: (August 18, 2009)
Since the day of the release of Wine version 1.1.24 the regression issue was resolved and probably future versions (1.1.24+) will do the same.
The guide is just a summary of all the online guides that I have tried and to be honest many of those guides gave me so many headaches for the simple reason, "I'm a newbie to UBUNTU". So I've decided to join in this forum last May 2009 and made a simple guide that's especially made for newbies like me.
Thanks to all the online guides that helped me formulate this simple guide all the credits must be given to all of you..
HERE ARE THE STEPS:
A. WINE CHECK/VERSION CHECK
-to check if you have installed wine already or check the version of your wine
- Click Application>Accessories>Terminal
- On the Terminal window type ‘wine --version’
- If you have not installed wine yet you will receive this message The program 'wine' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing: sudo apt-get install wine bash: wine: command not found then you may proceed to STEP D.
- If your wine version is 1.1.12 to 1.1.16 or 1.1.24+ then you may proceed to STEP C
B. UNINSTALL WINE
-If the version of your wine is 1.1.11 below, 1.1.17 to 1.1.23 you will not be able to install MSOffice 2007 due to regression so you have to uninstall this by following the steps:
C. DELETE WINE FOLDER
- Click System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager
- On the Synaptic Package Manager window type ‘Wine” on Search scroll down look for Wine right click on it and click Mark for Complete Removal>Apply>Reload>Close “OR”
in your terminal window. (I prefer this one because this is faster compared in using Synaptic Package Manager)
sudo apt-get remove wine
- this step will delete your wine folder which means all programs you installed through wine will also be deleted.
D. INSTALL WINE
- Click Places>Home Folder press CTRL+H to unhide .wine folder and press delete or type in your terminal window.
- Wine is a translation layer (a program loader) capable of running Windows applications on Linux and other POSIX compatible operating systems.
- Download wine from this site http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html and click your desired version (1.1.12 – 1.1.16 or 1.1.24+)
- After downloading double click the file and install it if a warning message like this 'A later version is available in a "software channel" will appear just click ok and install.
If your operating system (OS) is a fresh or newly installed you need to click System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager and click Reload to update the necessary files needed in installing wine.E. INSTALL MICROSOFT OFFICE 2007
- Insert your Microsoft Office 2007 installer on your CD-ROM look for the file named 'setup.exe' right click on it and click open with other application choose Wine Windows Program Loader.
- On the setup window type the license key click Continue and Install or you may click Customize and choose the applications you want and Install.
Please do not proceed to STEP F if you failed on this step.
F. INSTALL WINETRICKS
- A useful tool for using common workarounds to current deficiencies in Wine.
- Install winetricks by openning your terminal and type sudo wget www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
- Install cabextract to extract the contents of Microsoft cabinet archives
sudo apt-get install cabextract
- Install the following:
- corefronts - installs MS Arial, Courier and Times fonts;
- tahoma - installs tahoma fonts;
- vcrun2005sp1 - installs MS Visual C++ 2005 sp1 libraries; and
- wsh56js - installs MS Windows scripting 5.6, jscript only, no script
G. CONFIGURE WINE
sh winetricks corefonts tahoma vcrun2005sp1 wsh56js
- to be able to run programs properly like MS PowerPoint you need to configure wine
H. TEST MICROSOFT OFFICE
- Click Applications>Wine>Configure Wine or type on your terminal window
- On the Libraries Tab type ‘riched20’ click add and type ‘usp10’ and click again.
- Highlight or click 'riched20' and click Edit change it to ‘Native windows’ then click Apply and Ok.
I. REBOOT COMPUTER
- Open Microsoft Office Word 2007. Applications>Wine>Programs>Microsoft Office> Microsoft Office Word 2007 and your done!
- to be able update menus
SOLUTIONS TO COMMON ISSUES:
- I want to use old versions where can I download it?
- I'm using an older version of Ubuntu will my MSOffice installation be affected if I will upgrade it?
- There's a big tendency but if that's the case then I suggest do the installation again.
- I'm working on Step E but then it suddenly stopped, what will I do?
- if the installation stopped on Step E make sure that you did not miss any step before it but if you're sure that you did all the steps right then my assumption is it's a hardware related problem try to use a different installation media.
to all the visitors of the guide please help me enumerate common issues in installing MSOffice 2007 and its possible solutions.
ORIGINAL POST: (May 30, 2009)
1st REVISION: (June 29, 2009)