Thread: Problems With Wicd

Beans

Exclamation Problems With Wicd

Hi.
    I am trying to connect to my wireless network with Wicd, after many attempts with network manager failed. Wicd installed fine, but I cannot get it to run. When i run sudo wicd, it seems to be ok, and then i try running sudo wicd-client like it says in the readme, but this is what I get:
    pc@pc-desktop:~$ sudo wicd-client
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/wicd/wicd-client.py", line 50, in <module>
    import wicd.gui as gui
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wicd/gui.py", line 2005, in <module>
    setup_dbus()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wicd/gui.py", line 177, in setup_dbus
    proxy_obj = bus.get_object("org.wicd.daemon", '/org/wicd/daemon')
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus/bus.py", line 240, in get_object
    follow_name_owner_changes=follow_name_owner_change s)
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus/proxies.py", line 236, in __init__
    self._named_service = conn.activate_name_owner(bus_name)
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus/bus.py", line 179, in activate_name_owner
    self.start_service_by_name(bus_name)
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus/bus.py", line 277, in start_service_by_name
    'su', (bus_name, flags)))
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus/connection.py", line 603, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
    dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.wicd.daemon was not provided by any .service files

Can anybody help?

Beans

Re: Problems With Wicd

I am using wicd under kubuntu intrepid. In my case, I have an icon (two computer screens with black screen colour) in the lower right corner of the task bar. When I click on this icon, it the wicd window opens and shows me the available networks. Then I just choose a network and click on “connect”. When this clicked icon changes to “disconnect”, I know that I am connected.

I would eventually dis-install wicd and re-install it.

I hope I helped a bit. Good luck

Beans

No luck. Ive reinstalled it a number of times, and still get the same problem. I can get Wicd running on my laptop running Zenwalk, but i still cannot get access to my network.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_C View Post
    Hi.
    I am trying to connect to my wireless network with Wicd, after many attempts with network manager failed. Wicd installed fine, but I cannot get it to run. When i run sudo wicd, it seems to be ok, and then i try running sudo wicd-client like it says in the readme, but this is what I get:
    pc@pc-desktop:~$ sudo wicd-client
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/wicd/wicd-client.py", line 50, in <module>
    import wicd.gui as gui
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wicd/gui.py", line 2005, in <module>
    setup_dbus()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wicd/gui.py", line 177, in setup_dbus
    proxy_obj = bus.get_object("org.wicd.daemon", '/org/wicd/daemon')
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus/bus.py", line 240, in get_object
    follow_name_owner_changes=follow_name_owner_change s)
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus/proxies.py", line 236, in __init__
    self._named_service = conn.activate_name_owner(bus_name)
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus/bus.py", line 179, in activate_name_owner
    self.start_service_by_name(bus_name)
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus/bus.py", line 277, in start_service_by_name
    'su', (bus_name, flags)))
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus/connection.py", line 603, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
    dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.wicd.daemon was not provided by any .service files

Can anybody help?
    You have to start the daemon before you can run the client
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/wicd start
    If you still get the same error, run this:
    Code:
    sudo wicd -foe
    and post the error you get here.