Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't install Ubuntu 8.10

Beans

Can't install Ubuntu 8.10

Hello Everyone

I'm having a problem while installing Ubuntu 8.10 . I'm quite new to linux so I'm very srry if what I'm about to ask is very stupid and rhetoric .

My pc configuration is like this

Total 160 gb hard drive
    Nvidia gforce etc.

Window xp is already installed in it

I have created ext < ext# and swap partitions using partition magic

Here's what my problem is

When i tried to install Ubuntu 8.10 from live cd on to the above partitions . I couldn't go beyond screen 4 i.e No partitions were visible there.

please advise as it is getting quite frustrating and I really want to try 8.10 out

Beans

Re: Can't install Ubuntu 8.10

I have read release notes and i think this is mentioned in it but It'd be really helpful to tell me how to go around this

Beans

Can't install Ubuntu 8.10

Hello Everyone

I'm having a problem while installing Ubuntu 8.10 . I'm quite new to linux so I'm very srry if what I'm about to ask is very stupid and rhetoric .

My pc configuration is like this

Total 160 gb hard drive
    Nvidia gforce etc.

Window xp is already installed in it

I have created ext < ext# and swap partitions using partition magic

Here's what my problem is

PS: To moderators I'm srry for posting this in multiple forums as I thought it can be put in either of them

When i tried to install Ubuntu 8.10 from live cd on to the above partitions . I couldn't go beyond screen 4 i.e No partitions were visible there.

Now I know this kinda thing was mentioned in release notes . It'd have been much better if a work around was posted along with that . So that noob like me don't get frustrated by this.

I really want to use ubuntu 8.10 so please help me

please advise as it is getting quite frustrating and I really want to try 8.10 out
    Last edited by Abhishek_12; November 8th, 2008 at 03:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Abhishek_12 View Post
    Hello Everyone

PS: To moderators I'm srry for posting this in multiple forums as I thought it can be put in either of them
    Welcome, threads merged

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

partition magic is a windows application and it often fails at managing Linux partitions.

I suggest you try deleting those partitions and leave the space as unformatted, empty space.

Then try either making a partition with gparted (on the Ubuntu desktop cd), with the Ubuntu installer, or with command line options (fdisk).
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

I tried doing what u suggested still no luck .Here's the screen I'm getting .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

BEFORE starting the install, on the LiveCD, click System -> Administration -> Partition Editor. Remove everything EXCEPT your XP partition, and click Apply. Then start the installer, and tell it to use the Free Space. That should work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

from the live cd open a terminal(applications->accessories->terminal) and write

Code:
    fdisk -l

or

sudo fdisk -l
    and post the output

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bobbob1016 View Post
    BEFORE starting the install, on the LiveCD, click System -> Administration -> Partition Editor. Remove everything EXCEPT your XP partition, and click Apply. Then start the installer, and tell it to use the Free Space. That should work.
    I did that . It's not showing . It is not able to detect any device which seems quite odd.

I entered sudo fdisk-l in terminal it's not showing anything.

Here's the screenshot . I've even checked the disk for errors .it's not showing any sort of discrepancy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 1.png (23.8 KB, 4 views)

Beans

Any ideas people its kinda urgent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast