Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: perl, mod_perl problems

Beans

perl, mod_perl problems

I have posted this under "General Help", but I think this may be a better place for it. Unfortunately I don't know how to move the topic from GH to here, so I'm double-posting. Please excuse me.

OK, interesting problem: I seem to have perl, mod_perl, and apache2 installed so that they work (meaning I get messages saying they are installed and active), but I cannot get perl scripts or cgi to run from a browser.

cgi is enabled, so is perl.

I believe this is a configuration problem, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to troubleshoot it. No significant messages show up in the tail of /var/log/apache2/error.log.

My httpd.conf has:

PerlModule ModPerl::Registry

ScriptAlias /perl var/www/perl/

<Location "/perl/">
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler ModPerl::Registry
    Options +ExecCGI
    </Location>

and I do have a perl directory in /var/www/perl with a couple of small test scripts. However, connecting to the url http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/perl/mperltest.pl gives me a message saying the url cannot be found on the server. I thought the "/perl/" in the config file became a place holder for the url. Am I misunderstanding this?

My goal is to run perl scripts through the website. Once I get mod_perl working I expect to install mason, but at this point I would be very happy just being able to run perl scripts from the cgi-bin and/or the test directory I created under /var/www.

Since I originally started this post, I found an entry that suggested I put This in my /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/perl.conf file:

<Files ~ "\.(pl|cgi)$">
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlResponseHandler ModPerl:erlRun
    Options +ExecCGI
    PerlSendHeader On
    </Files>

This doesn't seem to help me run a perl script from the browser, but I did finally get an interesting message when I restarted Apache:

[error] slurp_filename('/etc/apache2/var') / opening: (2) No such file or directory at /usr/lib/perl5/ModPerl/RegistryCooker.pm line 541

The content (cat -n /usr/lib/perl5/ModPerl/RegistryCooker.pm) at line 541 is:

541 $self->{CODE} = eval { $self->{REQ}->slurp_filename(0) }; # untainted

There is no /etc/apache2/var file, and I don't know why it's looking for it.

Somewhere, somebody knows where there is simple, explicit step-by-step directions for configuring and testing mod_perl 2. (A lot of instruction seems to apply to earlier versions of mod_perl, and doesn't seem to work.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: perl, mod_perl problems

Your configuration looks fine. I do the same thing except I use vhost. Is the perl location accessible? Try commenting out the files node and drop a html file in there and try to access it.
    -Skeeterbug

Beans

I'm sorry,Skeeter, I don't understand the instruction. Can you explain in a little more detail for me?

Thanks,

Mike

Beans

Duh, of course I understand, now that I've read the instruction with a clear head.

Yes, an html file in that directory is accessable.

Thanks again,

Mike

Beans

Even duh, duh, duh...I cannot reach that directory. (Duplicate file names messed me up.) The same perl script works fine from the www directory, so I guess mod_perl is, in fact, working. I get the error message about "/etc/apache2/var" each time I try to go into the experimental perl directory under /var/www/.

So I guess this is a configuration error related to Apache.

If you have any more ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks,

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I usually deploy using a vhost.

Shouldn't

ScriptAlias /perl var/www/perl/

be

ScriptAlias /perl /var/www/perl/
    -Skeeterbug

Beans

Thanks for the suggestion. I changed the httpd.conf entry to read /var instead of just var. It didn't help my problem, but I believe it should be that way.

You know, everyone used to complain about sendmail, but I really like that I had a means of testing the results of various settings systematically. I need a system like that for Apache.

Thanks,

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by meburke View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I changed the httpd.conf entry to read /var instead of just var. It didn't help my problem, but I believe it should be that way.

You know, everyone used to complain about sendmail, but I really like that I had a means of testing the results of various settings systematically. I need a system like that for Apache.

Thanks,

Mike
    I know apache on windows has a command line program that checks the configuration and reports back any problems.

Have you tried Alias instead of ScriptAlias?

Alias /perl /var/www/perl/

<Directory "/var/www/perl">
    # Options
    </Directory>
    -Skeeterbug

Beans

Hey, that worked perfectly!

Thanks. Now, on to mason....(!?!)

Mike

Beans

I was looking for a command-line tester like the one you mentioned for Windows, and I found this:

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2003/05/22/testing.html

Still a reference to old docs, but interesting.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast