Thread: [SOLVED] Reassign process parent / PPID

Beans

[SOLVED] Reassign process parent / PPID

Hi,

Is it possible to reassign the PPID / parent process ID of a process (i.e. shift it to a different node in the process tree).

For example, I can open a terminal (process PPID=1) and execute a program in it (process PPID = terminal PID). Later I want to reassign the PPID to that of the GUI apps or something else (another application) - is that possible?

I can execute programs in the terminal using nohup command, which assigns the process a PPID of 1 - but that does not apply to already running processes or shifting to a different process. Also I can use screen to get applications running when the terminal closes, but again not useful for running processes / creating that process tree relationship when things get killed.

Thanks for any help, Jon

Re: Reassign process parent / PPID

Quote Originally Posted by jon.mithe View Post
    Is it possible to reassign the PPID / parent process ID of a process (i.e. shift it to a different node in the process tree).
    Nope, a process will get adopted by init if its parent die/exit, other than that, nothing can change a ppid (AFAIK).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm not sure if it's possible to reassign a process to a new parent however, you can disassociate it while it's running using "disown". For example:

Code:
    gcalctool &
    exit
    The calculator closes.

Code:
    gcalctool &
    disown
    exit
    The calculator stays open. You can also use "disown -a" to disown all background child processes of the currently shell.
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans

Thats worked great thanks