Thread: Fluid for OSX giving Prism a run for its money

Beans

Fluid for OSX giving Prism a run for its money

all I have to say about this is wow:
    http://fluidapp.com/

inspired by Prism this is built on Webkit and integrates into OSX beautifully. I've been using Prism now for several months for email and a few other sites, but this type of integration could really only come from a native interface. Besides that, Webkit is blazing fast now and clearly at the head of the pack as far as web standards go

Here's hoping someone uses Webkit's GTK+ port for something like this!!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Fluid for OSX giving Prism a run for its money

So.... there's an icon that you click that lauches a web-browser? Or is there more to it than that?

Beans

you're missing the point a little, Prism and Fluid free web apps from your browser. And in Prism's case (not sure about Fluid) they can take advantage of offline storage built into Firefox 3, acting much like a local application. Why would you want webapps to look and act like a browser? Its only becuase theres been no choice that they've had to be used that way.

I really didnt get it either til I tried Prism, and haven't looked back since.

Beans
    Hidden!

Meh, I guess I'll look into a copy of it for Linux =\

But I don't see why we just don't cut off Prism's need for Firefox, port it to use a Webkit engine, then just use it that way.

Alot less work IMHO.

Beans

Actually, I think Webkit's test browser could be used like this. It comes with webkit in its source.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    Actually, I think Webkit's test browser could be used like this. It comes with webkit in its source.
    I was going for Desktop Integration, for which Prism already has.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    I was going for Desktop Integration, for which Prism already has.
    you should check out the videos on the Fluid website, I wasn't just talking about native widgets.

I believe Prism is also written in XUL not GTK so switching out the Gecko backend and replacing with Webkit is not really an option.

just thought i'd point Fluid out because it looks like a really well made application, whereas Prism leaves a lot to be desired. Must have been developed quickly too since it claims to be inspired by Prism. Food for thought for any good developers out there interested in this subject...

will have to learn to code myself one of these days

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by spanella47 View Post
    you should check out the videos on the Fluid website, I wasn't just talking about native widgets.
    Good, I'm not either.

I believe Prism is also written in XUL not GTK so switching out the Gecko backend and replacing with Webkit is not really an option.
    That's what I was talking about with separating Prism's dependability on Firefox.

just thought i'd point Fluid out because it looks like a really well made application, whereas Prism leaves a lot to be desired. Must have been developed quickly too since it claims to be inspired by Prism. Food for thought for any good developers out there interested in this subject...

will have to learn to code myself one of these days
    There are books galore on the internet. Plus, for no charge.