Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: One of Linux's biggest lessons: Don't preach, mention

Beans

One of Linux's biggest lessons: Don't preach, mention

I have been around the forums since last year, and have experienced this myself. It seems each new user to Ubuntu wants to preach its benefits to everyone and convert the world. Let me ask you this: when was the last time this worked to convert you to anything? It just doesn't work with humans. If you try to force the decision on most people, they will reject it. Its great that you love it, but maybe it won't work for someone else, or they are happy with what they have. Ubuntu isn't the end all operating system, it does have its flaws.

Instead of trying to convert everyone by preaching to them, just mention it when asked. Carry a livecd or usb so that when you are using someone else's computer you can use that on it to do your stuff. They will naturally be curious when you boot up to it. Just use it, and if they ask you questions patiently and kindly answer them. If this were to happen, not only would we get more people trying Linux, but we would have less rants in the User Testimonials & Experiences section, since misinformation would be less likely to be used to try to make them change.

Have a nice day/night everyone! Remember this the next time you go to preach!
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

Re: One of Linux's biggest lessons: Don't preach, mention

I agree.

Mention, and if the person is interested, help get them started by doing an install and some post-install orientation, as well as assuring them of at least a degree of further support if they need it.

Preaching is all talk. A mention, along with an offer of setting things up and free support in person, is a proposal with potential for concrete action and actual results, which the person is free to accept or decline. It's also a gift, since you're offering to devote part of your finite time and energy to improve someone else's life.

Beans
    Hidden!

This needs to be read by a lot of people. Linux is great, but not for everyone, and it's not worth your time trying to get everyone to switch. If someone does become interested, tell them what's good about it, what isn't, and that they could run into some problems so they won't get angry if they run into problems if they do decide to try it out.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RiceMonster View Post
    This needs to be read by a lot of people. Linux is great, but not for everyone, and it's not worth your time trying to get everyone to switch. If someone does become interested, tell them what's good about it, what isn't, and that they could run into some problems so they won't get angry if they run into problems if they do decide to try it out.
    Perhaps a sticky here or something? Or a campaign where it is posted in your signature if you like it?

Beans
    Hidden!

I'll be happy to link to this in my signature .
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have stop preaching Linux now. I only use it myself now.
    But this does not stop me from making fun of my friends when they struggle from virii and spyware in Windows. (but I help them even with Windows neverthless)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Anurag_panda View Post
    I have stop preaching Linux now. I only use it myself now.
    But this does not stop me from making fun of my friends when they struggle from virii and spyware in Windows. (but I help them even with Windows neverthless)
    Its fine to do it with your friends if they know you are just having fun. Its just I have seen a rise in people crossing the line between preaching and mentioning lately, and wanted to help them recognize what they are doing isn't really helping.

Beans

heh, blame that to desktop cube and wobbly windows effects, because every time a new user sees it they always thought its very cool that everybody should have it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by loell View Post
    heh, blame that to desktop cube and wobbly windows effects, because every time a new user sees it, they always thought its very cool that everybody should have it.
    Like most things in life, its a blessing and a curse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I used to preach, and I put a couple of people off of it. Now, I just use it on the bus and stuff, and dont make my theme look like vista, or mac, people ask questions, and I answer. I give 'em a live cd, and explain they can boot from the cd, and when they do that, it will be slow as all hell. but they can install it, and if they follow the instructions, they can keep windows. The buety of it is, I see them again the next day, or the next week, and can keep answering questions.
    Every day is a good day to use Ubuntu.
    blog ~~~ last.fm ~~~ twitter ~~~ digg
    Just so you know, everywhere else on the internet, I am known as mynameistux
    Its just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast