Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gimp Plugins

Beans

Question Gimp Plugins

Can anyone help with installing Gimp plugins? There is a list of plugins that I would like to download/install some plugins from at http://www.techzilo.com/gimp-plugins/. However, I am not sure how to go about doing so?

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Gimp Plugins

Install them by saving the svm files to (your home directory)/.gimp-2.4/plug-ins/
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

unfortunately, a lot of these plug-ins are for 2.2 Gimp, whereas the newer 2.4 is now the standard with Gutsy and other *Nix's. Not sure if that makes a difference for a lot of them though
    <>< <--- It's a fish

Beans

I heard that GIMP 2.4 broke 2.2 plugins, but I guess the only way to find out if it is broken is to try it out.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

yeah, sorry other readers if me and smartboy weren't able to provide much insight, testing is really the only way to find out with these
    <>< <--- It's a fish

Beans

That's okay. Thank you for your help though. I did test them out and unfortunately they don't work. I wish they did though. It would make some things for my photography shots a little easier.

Beans

This may be a silly question, but I've added a couple of plug-ins to Gimp 2.4.5, but I'm not sure I'm doing it the right way. In my home directory, I checked View Hidden Files and just moved the .scm files into plug-ins. The curious thing is that all 34 folders in .gimp-2.4 are empty, so I'm not sure what's going on at all.

I've been using Gimp and it's working fine in Ubuntu 8.04. Why are the Gimp folders empty then? And have I really added the new plug-ins to the right place? Thanks for any help.

Beans
    Hidden!

Here 's how to install the .scm files.

Install libgimp2.0-dev:
    sudo apt-get install libgimp2.0-dev (That will get you the needed "gimptool")

If you want to install the script for everyone do:
    sudo gimptool-2.0 --install-admin-script /path/to/.scm

For just your user:
    gimptool-2.0 --install-script /path/to/.scm

For more concise info: LINK

Beans

Ok, I've installed libgimp2.0-dev successfully. When I install the script .scm I get Error: Couldn't find file to build/install/uninstall

I tried it just as you wrote it and also using the name of the plug-in. the plug-in file in on my desktop.

Beans

Fixed it. I put the .scm files in home folder/.gimp.2.2/scripts instead of plug-ins. Then I went to the Gimp toolbox and in Xtns/Script-Fu I clicked Refesh Scripts. I was then able to use the plug-ins.

BTW, I got the above info here http://wiki.osphoto.org/index.php/GIMP_scripts after browsing the Gimp users group over at Flickr.

I don't know if installing libgimp2.0-dev enabled the plug-ins, or simply moving them into the scripts folder and refreshing scripts did. I'm just glad they work.

I still don't understand why all the Gimp folders appear empty in my hidden files, but some mysteries are beyond noobs like me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast