Thread: Kingston DataTraveler HyperX 128 GB Super Speed USB 3 thumb drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Kingston DataTraveler HyperX 128 GB Super Speed USB 3 thumb drive

Hi. My best friend just placed my Amazon order for a new Kingston DataTraveler HyperX 128 gigabyte Super Speed USB 3 thumb drive and it will be delivered to my home tomorrow or Friday at the latest. Kingston states that their DataTraveler HyperX is fully compatible with Linux kernels 2.6.x+. I am using Ubuntu 10.04.3 64 bit LTS. I was thinking about getting the Patriot Memory Supersonic Magnum 128 gigabyte Super Speed USB 3 thumb drive, but I decided to spend quite a bit more on the Kingston DataTraveler HyperX 128 gigabyte Super Speed USB 3 thumb drive because it is guaranteed to work with Ubuntu 10.04.3 64 bit LTS and it provides up to 225 megabytes per second sequential read speed and 135 megabytes per second sequential write speed which is about 5 to 15 megabytes per second faster than the Patriot Memory Supersonic Magnum 128 gigabyte Super Speed USB 3 thumb drive.

I plan to store my confidential files on it using TrueCrypt AES-XTS mode 256 bit key strength and SHA-512 hash algorithm with a complex and strong password in excess of 20+ characters. Since it is such a big USB 3 thumb drive, I plan to store DVD-Videos, .FLAC music files, digital magazines, e-books, Amazon Kindle books, Adobe .PDF files, and photographs and pictures on it. I will format it using the GNU/Linux /ext4 file system and I will specify that it will only be used in GNU/Linux environments when I am setting up TrueCrypt to format the Kingston DataTraveler HyperX 128 GB USB 3 thumb drive.

I think that I made the right decision albeit my best friend paid for it as a gift to me because I gave him a bunch of gifts this past holiday season including portable external encrypted hard disk drives, USB thumb drives, SDHC card, ATSC/NTSC USB 2 TV tuner, Super Anti-Spyware Professional for Microsoft Windows 7, my entire Apple iTunes library containing over 385.5 gigabytes of ALAC .m4a songs, Apple iPod Classic, NuForce uDAC2-HP USB DAC and portable headphone amplifier, Grado SR-60i headphones, more Windows 7 compatible software, and five recently released classical CDs from Yo-Yo Ma, Hilary Hahn, and Hayley Westenra.

In short: I gave him much more stuff for free that is valued at a higher price tag and he decided that the least he could do was to get me something that I really needed and wanted quite badly. Currently, I do not have a portable external storage device. I only have a Seagate FreeAgent Desk 1.5 terabyte USB 2 hard disk drive protected by TrueCrypt AES-XTS mode 256 bit key strength with SHA-512 hash algorithm. It is designed to stay in my bedroom at home for mass storage. I formatted it to GNU/Linux /ext4 file system. I need something that is highly rugged, durable, reliable, and dependable with a high capacity and super fast speed.

I have an ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC with Crucial 8 gigabytes DDR3 PC-8500 1,066 MHz SODIMM SDRAM and an Intel 2nd Generation MLC NAND FLASH X25-M 160 gigabyte solid state drive. It has Super Speed USB 3 built in and I have a SIIG Super Speed USB 3 ExpressCard/34 card to give me up to three Super Speed USB 3 ports. I also have an AdvanCED USB 3.0 Hub with AC power and a 1 meter long Super Speed USB 3 cable that connects to the USB 3.0 Hub. It has 4 Super Speed USB 3.0 ports.

When I get it tomorrow and do my thing to format and secure it, I will post a reply to this thread to let everybody else in the community know if it works and it is compatible with Ubuntu 10.04.3 64 bit LTS or not. It should work because Kingston states that it is compatible with GNU/Linux kernel 2.6.x+.

Thank you for reading. I look forward to your helpful and useful replies if applicable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Kingston DataTraveler HyperX 128 GB Super Speed USB 3 thumb drive

I got it this afternoon. I did what I said that I was going to do and it works. It is formatted to the GNU/Linux /ext4 file system and I use TrueCrypt with AES-XTS mode 256 bits SHA-512 hash algorithm to secure the data. It works. It is extremely fast and it is a high capacity USB 3 thumb drive. I already love it. I would recommend it to others looking for a portable, rugged, and extremely fast storage solution.