Thread: Disable Alt-Tab Grouping?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question Disable Alt-Tab Grouping?

hmmm....not entirely sure where this post should go...im on ubuntu 11.04 w/ GNOME-SHELL (gnome3) installed.

my searching only provided questions on how to disable or customize some of the preview settings on the alt-tab window..

MY Question is if its possible to disable the "Grouping" part...

such as having multiple nautilus windows.

primarily thunderbird is the largest annoyance.. if im writing an email on my laptop and accedentally (touchpad 'palming') off the 'compose message' window; by default and second nature, my brain tells my fingers to alt-tab back into it. unfortunately, this DOES NOT WORK!

reason being: Grouping! ..alt tab doesnt allow tabbing into the sub-groups..you CAN although use the arrow keys combined with alt-tab, and eventually find your way down into the hierarchy, and to the right email.

this is much too much work compared to a simple alt-tab once, like most other situations.

any ideas (besides disableing my touchpad while i type) ??

oh actually, another question, i did notice an option to disable touchpad while youre typing in the settings. is there a gconf entry to adjust the delay? or how many keys need to be typed before its disabled?

problem there, is that if i hit return, or esc, or delete, or pretty much anything that should just be a QUICK one button press, and back to the touch pad, results in waiting 2-3 SECONDS (its a lot longer than it may sound.. trust me.. its EVIL! lol..i end up reaching for my wireless mouse before the waits over, lol im wayy too impatient for that..! this is the 21st century! we need PRODUCTIVITY and EFFICIENCY! lol)

ty in advance.
    Last edited by snoopy-2009; August 17th, 2011 at 06:19 AM. Reason: oops... ignore sig... wrong info....wanted to remove it..bahh i think i found it... lol

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs up Re: Disable Alt-Tab Grouping?

nobody...? in a forum full of answers, and geniuses.. we have not a single idea...?
    lol=D>=D>
    just givin us all a hard time.

Work: 3-60.com - 3-60 Creative, Design, Hosting.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Disable Alt-Tab Grouping?

http://justinstories.wordpress.com/2...for-fedora-15/

Look at extension 2. It's an official gnome-shell extension, so it should be easy to get.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Disable Alt-Tab Grouping?

thanks friend!! there are now plenty of options to chose from with alternate tab extensions.. most reccomend the one at https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/15/alternatetab/

but there are some other third-party ones out there on other sites of experimented with, some work, others crash, and some just dont quite do what i was looking for.

this all depends on an individual user's preference, and what they want to accomplish with alt-tabbing.

im a web designer, so im constantly flipping back and forth between a web browser, and gedit. --which i at the same time like to have on seperate workspaces-- but with this being the case ( if its grouped to workspaces) , a single alt-tab, wont always return u to the last window u were on.

i believe im still using the one i linked to. which changes this feature. if anyone would like to confirm, (or correct me) please, feel welcome! --but im marking the thread solved. can pm me if anyone has any other questions about this topic.

ty again friend! (that link is one of the other 3rd-party alternates, and is also a good (WORKING) choice!)
    Work: 3-60.com - 3-60 Creative, Design, Hosting.