Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: XPS 15z Fail

Beans

XPS 15z Fail

Dear Community,

I recently bought an XPS 15z hoping to install Ubuntu. However, I have had nothing but trouble with this hardware. Most USB and CD/DVD Live sessions fail with either blank screen or initramfs failures.

Finally, I was able to get 10.04 and 11.04 to install but with major issues. For 10.04, my screen is at a much lower resolution, wired/wireless interfaces are not recognized, and trackpad is not recognized. For 11.04, my screen's native resolution (1080p) is recognized, and the wireless interface is recognized, but my trackpad (trackpad!) still is not recognized. To make matters worse, allowing the update manager to update all available packages makes the machine unbootable with a blank screen after the initial splash.

My questions:
    1) Is it unrealistic to expect new hardware like this to be supported?
    2) Do I report these as launchpad bugs? What output will I need? (dmesg shows no obvious errors)

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: XPS 15z Fail

I believe this system has the optimus graphic system. Have a look at this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1618801

Beans

Thanks for the link. Any thoughts on how I begin to troubleshoot the unrecognized trackpad?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Try the boot option i8024.nomux. For instructions, see:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions. Try first and if it works, then make it permanent.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    Try the boot option i8024.nomux. For instructions, see:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions. Try first and if it works, then make it permanent.
    Did not fix the issue for me. It's Cypress Semiconductor trackpad, I added that command to the kernel just before boot with no luck. Thanks though... wonder what it could be...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jwhirl06 View Post
    Did not fix the issue for me. It's Cypress Semiconductor trackpad, I added that command to the kernel just before boot with no luck. Thanks though... wonder what it could be...
    @jwhirl06 - do you have the same system?

Other options that are good for troublesome trackpads are:
    Code:
    i8024.reset
    i8024.nopnp
    i8024.noloop=1
    irqpoll
    Perhaps you can try those. Otherwise, post back the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log/
    Last edited by Toz; June 7th, 2011 at 11:17 PM.

Beans

Smile Re: XPS 15z Fail

I ordered my XPS 15z yesterday and will be installing Ubuntu onto it when it arrives so will be following this thread with interest. If you make any further progress please report it here!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zobbo View Post
    I ordered my XPS 15z yesterday and will be installing Ubuntu onto it when it arrives so will be following this thread with interest. If you make any further progress please report it here!
    Me too. Any help would appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Beans

I also have a XPS 15z and desperately trying to get everything to work!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast