Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 and Canon MP620b

Beans

Question Ubuntu 12.04 and Canon MP620b

Has anyone been able to install the Canon Mp620b printer on Ubuntu 12.04? If so, how did you do it?

I goto add printer and nothing shows up. I have the printer setup on my home network wireless. I also tried using USB to my printer and it doesn't see it.

I tried a script file I found online but it was outdated and didn't work correctly.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 and Canon MP620b

Here's Ubuntu documentation on that particular printer.
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans

Thanks for the reply but that seems to be an old documentation.

After spending hours on this proplem, I finally got it to work.

I followed instructions on this site http://rackerua.com/2011/05/mp-620-6...ral-installer/

It actually installed the printer automatically after 10min. Closed everything up and tried to print a test page and it would give some weird status errors. So I went back into the printer properties and changed the driver Make and Model to Canon PIXMA MP620 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.8-pre1

Now I can print. Prints slower than it would in Windows but at least it prints.

If everything else works and is stable, I won't need to use Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the reply but that seems to be an old documentation.
    I wasn't aware that your model was new? I'm happy to see you got it working.
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase

Beans

The Canon Cnijfilter drivers appear to be not working on 12.04 (and if one more person tells me how to install those I get aggressive.)

Currently there seem to be two other drivers that make the printer work.

* PIXMA MP620 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.8-pre1 (make sure to set the resolution to 600dpi, that might speed up the printing, the automatic selection of paper source wasn't working either for me.)
    * and turboprint - it is not free but definitly worth the money

thank you for pointing that out livewire but if you use the guttenprint drivers, you won't need to follow any of the instructions installing the broken canon drivers.

Beans

Thanks for the tip, @joshiii. I have tried that before, and I got the same result today that I got before, "The printer is busy".

However, There are many ways to express the address of the printer and I am not sure which form to use. I tried "ipps://192.168.1.123/ipp/", getting the above result. How do you specify your printer to the Add Printer dialog?

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Hidden!

192.168.1.123 Will do.
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Thanks for the tip, @joshiii. I have tried that before, and I got the same result today that I got before, "The printer is busy".

However, There are many ways to express the address of the printer and I am not sure which form to use. I tried "ipps://192.168.1.123/ipp/", getting the above result. How do you specify your printer to the Add Printer dialog?

Tim
    The printer won't show up unless you install the drivers from that site I posted earlier. Canon uses bjnp:// then ip address.

Weird. I can print web sites and text documents. I can scan. But I cannot print from shotwell or any photo software.

Appears to still be broken. I will have to print pictures from my Windows laptop for now until this is resolved. Any Ideas?