Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Resize Window Border Too Small

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Resize Window Border Too Small

This isn't a HUGE deal, just a little annoying. When I move the cursor to the edge of a window to resize it, i only get the resize arrow in a very small area and it takes me several tries to get it just right. Is there anyway to broaden the resize area threshold or something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Resize Window Border To Small

Agreed... I love the Ambiance Theme I just wish it had a boarder more like the Crux windows.

That said, I'll usually grab the window from the bottom where there is a slightly larger boarder and bigger sweet spot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Apv507 View Post
    This isn't a HUGE deal, just a little annoying. When I move the cursor to the edge of a window to resize it, i only get the resize arrow in a very small area and it takes me several tries to get it just right. Is there anyway to broaden the resize area threshold or something?
    You'll just have to use a window border theme that has wider borders.

..or hold down the Alt key and use the middle mouse button to resize the window from anywhere inside the window.

(Also note that many themes have a bit extra border at the bottom, so resizing is easier if you grab the window from bottom right or bottom left corner.. Actually it's even quite common for the bottom right corner to have a specific larger area for this purpose.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks guys, I assumed it was a theme by theme thing. I'm using Smoothie, not because I'm a mac fan I just love the green yellow and red buttons, it feels clean. I ended up making CTRL+` the shortcut key for resizing, although its just as easy as right clicking on the title bar at the top. Compiz maximumize also is handy for resizing windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post

..or hold down the Alt key and use the middle mouse button to resize the window from anywhere inside the window.
    Ohhhh... I like! Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yea, thats a very handy trick thanks guys!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Resize Window Border To Small

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Very good solution. Much better than classic border-based approach. Thanks.

Beans

hmm, not very comfortable for a laptop touchpad though...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is one of the few things I find really annoying in Ubuntu. Thanks for the tip about using the middle button and alt but it's not always practical. I was hoping there would be a massive long thread full of people complaining about it - enough to convince the programmers that that's not the way we like it. Alas most people don't seem to be as bothered about it as me.

The other thing that annoys me is having to accept script from google-analytics just to post on this forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/160311

This bug is really annoying. Glad they're working on it already. You can fix it yourself in the time being, like the instructions on the launchpad page state. If you're not using Ambiance, change the path accordingly to the theme you're using and edit the .xml file:

Workaround: Edit /usr/share/themes/Ambiance/metacity-1/metacity-theme-1.xml. Set the following values in frame_geometry_normal as desired:
    <distance name="left_width" value="3"/>
    <distance name="right_width" value="3"/>
    <distance name="bottom_height" value="3"/>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast