Thread: Open Folder Command

Beans

Open Folder Command

I incorrectly changed the command under Folder Properties to open all folders with the wrong program rather than the Ubuntu default program. I now can't open the folder properties screen using the right mouse button. How do I get back to the properties screen so I can change this back to the default open folder command? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Open Folder Command

From terminal type,

Code:
    nautilus
    Right Click any folder > Open with other Application > Select File Browser and check the box for Remember this application for folder files.

Beans

Pick any folder -> r. click -> Open With - Other Application, scroll down and choose 'open folder'

Otherwise
    Code:
    gedit ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
    Find the line inode/directory= and either delete the whole line or add to front
    Code:
    nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;
    Ex.
    inode/directory=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;totem-xine.desktop;kde-pana.desktop;vlc.desktop;userapp-mplay-E15PIV.desktop;

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thank You. I may or may not, now, install Rythmbox - as I normally use vlc for whatever OS I've got installed. At least I can now see where the problem lies, and surely not the only one.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by guest5 View Post
    Thank You. I may or may not, now, install Rythmbox - as I normally use vlc for whatever OS I've got installed. At least I can now see where the problem lies, and surely not the only one.

Thanks again.
    I have found if I open say VLC and then navigate to directory I want open be it video or music I never have problem of opening home folders in VLC by default. But as earlier post says to right click on any folder and choosing open with and choosing file manager and checking to open with by default will quickly fix problem. Some say no that opening VLC or mplayer or whatever with right click on directory and choosing does not duplicate initial problem, but I can reproduce by doing so eventually at any given time, so I just open my media player and navigate to directory, just because it cuts any doubt about it happening again. And I also enjoy VLC it just works on everything I throw at it. Such a benign looking media application but huge on the inside.
    Last edited by garvinrick4; November 22nd, 2010 at 03:42 AM.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans

some say ..right click on directory and choosing does not duplicate initial problem
    It's the 'other application' sub menu that in 10.10 will always change the default for both files and folders if one fails to uncheck the "Remember this.... " box

(the box should either say it's changing defaults or not be enabled by default or not even be there at all - anything but the way it is now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    It's the 'other application' sub menu that in 10.10 will always change the default for both files and folders if one fails to uncheck the "Remember this.... " box

(the box should either say it's changing defaults or not be enabled by default or not even be there at all - anything but the way it is now.
    Very good that explains the why
    when I was opening ripped DVD's in VLC and the directory had both text files and .vob
    video files, so I was confusing the hell out of media player and file browser of what should open what.
    So always opened in path from media player. I see a lot of threads with this problem, it is like usual "user error".
    If a directory has both text and media files of any format do not open whole directory go one more step and open the sub-directory and
    problem go's away.
    Mc4man thank you kindly. OP you should mark this thread as Solved.
    Last edited by garvinrick4; November 22nd, 2010 at 09:13 AM.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

sikander3786 your a legend.

Right Click any folder > Open with other Application > Select File Browser and check the box for Remember this application for folder files.

Works beautifully and is so simple......no more opening Rhythmbox.

Thanks so much.