Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Hi guys, has anyone had problems with usb really slow transfer rate (especially for pen drives) since we use 2.6.28.x kernel?

I saw that many people around the web has this problem with debian-based distros, and no one could find out how to resolve it. That's why I'm asking this to you : to see if that may be a hardware compatibility problem instead of a configuration one.

Thanks for telling.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 8.10 - 32 bits | 1.6 GHz Pentium dual T2330 | 2 Go RAM | Nvidia 8400M GS | 160GB 5400 RPM HDD

Beans

Further tinkerings with the sound system:

I setup alsa and OpenAL for surround sound support and maped my speakers correctly. I havnt looked into how to accomplish this with Pulse yet but the issue was (as Im sure some of you have seen) that the speakers were abit mixed up in terms of directional when using the surround51 pcm.

This laptop has 5 speakers total: Shown here

They represent the following channels:
    1 - Front Left
    2 - Front Right
    3 - Rear Left
    4 - Rear Right
    5 - LFE/Subwolfer (Bottom of laptop)

I should note at this point that im using the following snd-hda-intel module config each of the commented modules worked wth slightly different results. Sky was the closest.
    Code:
    onemyndseye@onemyndsmobile:~$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/hda-intel.conf 
    # 3stack-6ch
    # 3stack-6ch-intel
    # lenovo-ms7195-dig (Lenovo MS7195)
    # lenovo-sky (Lenovo Sky)

options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo-sky

Then I needed a proper speaker map to get "5.1 surround".

The default surround device (pcm surround51) had my channels alittle mixed up. The Front and Rear was reversed and any call to Center rear was handled by the LFE only. For example in Quake4, a enemy shooting at you from behind would only sound in the LFE. eewww.

so I remaped as follows. The syntax I learned for this maping is:
    ttable.MAP_CHAN.REAL_CHAN GAIN

MAP_CHAN = Represented channel
    REAL_CHAN = Actual channel as identified by alsa
    GAIN = Gain/Volume at a fraction (1 = 100%)

My ~/.asoundrc
    Code:
    pcm.!default {
    	type plug
    	slave.pcm "lenovo_surround"
    	slave.channels 6
    	route_policy duplicate
    }

pcm.lenovo_surround {
            type route
            slave.pcm surround51
            slave.channels 6

# Front  with 50% volume LFE for both channels
            ttable.0.2 0.7	## Front Left		(Speaker 1)
            ttable.1.3 0.7	## Front Right		(Speaker 2)
            ttable.0.5 0.5	## Touch sub		(Speaker 5)
            ttable.1.5 0.5	## Touch sub		(Speaker 5)

# Rear with 50% volume LFE for both channels
            ttable.2.0 1.0	## Rear Left		(Speaker 3)
            ttable.3.1 1.0	## Rear Right		(Speaker 4)
            ttable.2.5 0.5	## Touch Sub		(Speaker 5)    
            ttable.3.5 0.5	## Touch Sub 		(Speaker 5)   

# Center (Spkr1+Spkr2) with 50% volume LFE  
            ttable.4.2 0.5	## Center Left		(Speaker 1)
            ttable.4.3 0.5	## Center Right		(Speaker 2)
            ttable.4.5 0.5	## Touch Sub		(Speaker 5)  

# Center Rear  (Spkr3+Spkr4) with 50% volume LFE
            ttable.5.0 0.5	## Center Rear Left	(Speaker 3)
    	ttable.5.1 0.5	## Center Rear Right	(Speaker 4)
    	ttable.5.5 0.5	## Touch Sub		(Speaker 5)
    }

The OpenAL config: ~/.alsoftrc
    Code:
    format = AL_FORMAT_51CHN16

refresh = 6144
    #sources = 256
    stereodup = True
    drivers = alsa

##
    ## ALSA backend stuff
    ##
    [alsa]

device = lenovo_surround  # Call my virtually maped device
    #periods = 0
    mmap = true

Still playing with the volume levels abit to get that "just right mix" but I've tested this with Regnum Online and Quake4 with satisfying results. I dont expect this exact example to work for anyone else or do I truely believe it to be a 100% correct (for instance: the gains in most channels are too high. i.e. Center Rear should total to 1) example of mixing 5.1 surround, but it gave me the results I was looking for and hopefully will save someone the trouble of figuring this crap out lol.
    Last edited by onemyndseye; October 29th, 2009 at 06:45 AM.

Beans

So I'm *excited* but also scared. Has anyone tried 9.10 for the y510 yet?

I'm still on Gutsy =O
    Last edited by JSuresh; October 30th, 2009 at 05:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have a Y530 and I did a clean install of Karmic x64 last night. So far it's a vast improvement over Jaunty. Pulseaudio seems to work properly, the Intel video driver now works well with the new kernel (no flickering or tearing), and overall it feels fast and smooth.

I did have a few freezes last night as I was installing apps, however, so we'll see how that goes over the next few days.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by michaelzap View Post
    I have a Y530 and I did a clean install of Karmic x64 last night. So far it's a vast improvement over Jaunty. Pulseaudio seems to work properly, the Intel video driver now works well with the new kernel (no flickering or tearing), and overall it feels fast and smooth.

I did have a few freezes last night as I was installing apps, however, so we'll see how that goes over the next few days.
    I also have a Y530 and did Karmix x64 and it was terrrrriiiibble. No sound at all, and it completely locked up frequently.

I'm tempted to give it yet another go, but... ugh. It seems to be a problem with the kernel and all the new distros use the kernel, which would explain why none of the new distros (I tried the latest betas/release candidates of openSUSE, Mandriva, and of course the final release of Ubuntu 9.10) worked on this laptop.

Has anyone else had success in getting 9.10 to work on the IdeaPad Y530? And by success, I mean, working sound and no lockups?

/Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    I also have a Y530 and did Karmix x64 and it was terrrrriiiibble. No sound at all, and it completely locked up frequently.

I'm tempted to give it yet another go, but... ugh. It seems to be a problem with the kernel and all the new distros use the kernel, which would explain why none of the new distros (I tried the latest betas/release candidates of openSUSE, Mandriva, and of course the final release of Ubuntu 9.10) worked on this laptop.

Has anyone else had success in getting 9.10 to work on the IdeaPad Y530? And by success, I mean, working sound and no lockups?

/Kevin
    I should have come back here and corrected my previous post. I had a brief Karmic honeymoon, but after that things went sour. I'm still having pretty serious stability issues, which you can read about here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...38#post8215338

Removing the proprietary modem driver in System -> Hardware Drivers got my sound to work reliably, although only in stereo.

Right now I'm seeing what happens if I turn off Compiz, although I'm not convinced that it's related to the crashing I've had.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Just posted this in another thread:

Alright, here's something weird (at least, to me): I wiped out everything and installed Kubuntu 9.10 -- and it works great. Sound works. No freezes. No kernel errors. No speed issues. Everything is great.

I don't understand why this is, unless my issues were specific to GNOME...?? That doesn't really make sense to me, but it's the only explanation I have at the moment. I mean, this is the same kernel... so it's not the kernel, apparently.

I prefer KDE over GNOME but I'm going to stick with this for awhile and adapt -- it's better than having an unusable GNOME-based system (Ubuntu).

/Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Call me crazy, but I like to run the disc checking program on install CD's at least 3 times before i use it to install. I've had discs that passed only on the first try, and I figure using it after a failure is asking for trouble.

I plan to do a clean install over the weekend. Usually i wait until downloading updates won't be too difficult on the Ubuntu server side, but i temporarily have my hands on a spare hard drive, and it seems like a good opportunity to try it. For some reason I have had problems with every x.10 version on this laptop, so I'm scared too.

There is some incentive for Y710 users (or others with ATI HD series graphics adapters) to move to the 2.6.32 kernel early (or wait until it is deployed stable in 10.04), as apparently you won't have to use proprietary drivers anymore. I think I'll be setting aside a small chunk of hard drive space to try this out on a test install.

There's also hope that GRUB2 will finally recognize my optical drive once again and i can finally ditch LILO.
    | Alienware M17x-R2 | Go Chargers! |

Beans

I've heard early updaters to 9.10 have been having more headache than normal. I'll probably wait until Christmas break to upgrade..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I can confirm headaches. Firefox is broken, continually dropping my sessions without warning. The flash plugin is the suspected culprit, but I don't know for sure what's wrong. It comes with 3.5.2 by default, but some threads I found say 3.5.4 is just as bad.

Webpages seem to take forever to load now, and this doesn't seem to be firefox-specific either. I decided to take Konqueror for a spin, and it took its time too... maybe a driver problem?

I also decided to try out Evolution and it crashed on me a couple of times too.

Good thing i can just plug in my other HDD with 9.04 on it!

Also tried to move to 2.6.32 but i can't seem to find a precompiled version, so I'm going to wait on that one.
    | Alienware M17x-R2 | Go Chargers! |

Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast