Thread: Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT (512mb) problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Question Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT (512mb) problem

Hi,

I built myself a new PC this afternoon with a Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT (512mb) PCIe card.

I installed Ubuntu from the alternative CD and all went fine. When I first logged in it was using a generic VESA driver, so I tried to enable the one from System > Administration > Hardware drivers.

After downloading and installing I rebooted, but X did not start any more, it was just a black screen.

I went into Recovery mode and defaulted back to the VESA driver.

Next I tried EnvyNG and it could not automatically detect my card, but said if I wanted to, I could try to manually install anyway, so I did.

This time after installing the driver, I reboot and get a prompt saying that Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode, blah blah. Basically that failed.

The last thing I tried was to go to the Nvidia.com website and download their Linux driver package. I tried to install that with guides from other posts on the forum (eg, stopped GDM, ran the .bin and compiled the module). This also fails, with the low-graphics mode warning coming up when I start Ubuntu.

I am stuck! Here's some info that may help.

Code:
    blake@horizon:~$ lspci |grep VGA
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 084d (rev a2)
    03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Geforce 9600 GT 512mb (rev a1)
    Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT (512mb) problem

I solved this problem, thank you

I removed everything and tried the nvidia.com installer again, which worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Does everything work fine? Compiz and whatnot? Have you tried running any games on it? I'm torn between this card and an 8800 GT because of compatibility issues.

Beans

Hi,

I have trouble with my newly bought Sparkle nvidia 9600 GT (512 mb) card. I thought it best to do a fresh install of Hardy with the new card. It works fine in 2D, but glxinfo displays that there is no GL support.

Armed with this information I searched on Google and found that there was a new driver for EnvyNG 173.14.12 in the proposed repositoriy that supposedly should support my card.

I added the proposed repository and installed EnvyNG. When I tried to install the new driver with EnvyNG, Envy threw an error that my card couldn't be detected as a supported card for that driver. I went ahead and tried to install the driver manually, but this resulted in a distorted screen. From what I could see I think it was the screen for low resolution mode.

I copied my backup of my xorg.conf file with the NV driver back to /etc/X11 and rebooted, no problems, but still no GL mode available.

I also read a bunch of tutorials, but I can’t remember any of them addressing a working Direct Rendering mode.

The only reason I bought this card was so I could play WoW through Wine with higher resolution and better performance.

I also saw that there was a beta driver from nvidia (177.13), does this help my case in anyway?

Please, any solutions?! Don’t find it pleasing to wait for Inrepid to get it to work.

// Kim
    Last edited by keelon72; August 8th, 2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Typ-O

Beans

Solved it.

Wasn't a software issue (I think). I changed my 350W PSU to a 450W PSU.

Reinstalled Hardy 8.04.1, updated, installed EnvyNG (BTW: the 173.14.12 driver is in the hardy-updates now, no need to activate hardy-proposed) and choose the manual install. And that was that.

glxinfo | grep direct
    direct rendering: Yes

Beans

But does Compiz work? I have the same graphics card and I can't get my compiz setting to stay on custom. Whatever I select, it goes back to "normal." I'm not sure if it's compiz-dependent or related to my graphics card.

I'm running Hardy 64 bit and I have the Nvidia 64 bit driver installed.