View Poll Results: Would u sell Ubuntu OS?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes for atleast 10$

6 8.82%
  • No.Give it for free

62 91.18%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would u sell ubuntu OS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Would u sell ubuntu OS?

If u r the owner of Ubuntu , would u sell ubuntu OS for atleast 10$ or give it for free?
    what is beautiful is not always good, but what is good is always beautiful!
    When I'm right no one remembers..When I'm wrong no one forgets..

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Would u sell ubuntu OS?

If I had to buy Ubuntu I would've just skipped it for a free distro.

I'd give it away.

Beans

I don't think it's right that people sell any linux distribution for example Red Hat, or Linspire, or Mandriva although each company offers a free alternative that works great like Fedora, Freespire, or Mandriva One. I would definitely give it away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I would not pay for Ubuntu but search another free distribution. If I were a company and needed the stuff in a big environment without trying to risk my job, propably I'd prefer something like the RedHat subscriptions with support.
    But you don't buy RedHat either - only their support subscriptions for so and so many machines (which is the practically the same)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The distro would be free, but I would not feel bad about charging for my time and materials.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C!oud View Post
    I don't think it's right that people sell any linux distribution for example Red Hat, or Linspire, or Mandriva although each company offers a free alternative that works great like Fedora, Freespire, or Mandriva One. I would definitely give it away.
    Well both Red Hat and Mandriva do have viable reasons to sell their distributions, especially Mandriva as if you buy its powerpack version it pays for the codecs and proprietary codecs that come along with it... and Red Hat usually uses its money for developers.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Yea I agree with you but for the average user I think there is no reason to pay money for Red Hat or Mandriva powerpack

Beans

It, and all software for it, being free, was a big part of my reason to try Linux in the first place. Even though I were skeptical, I figured "what the hell, I'll give it a try, it's not going to cost me anything". I then found I liked it and has since removed Windows from my computer. I think, if I had had to pay for it, I would never have given it a chance.

So I'm all for it being free.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    The distro would be free, but I would not feel bad about charging for my time and materials.
    I agree fully, the OS is free, but my time is worth money ------ I would sell support if it took my over an hour to solve someone's problem. Basic things like enabling the restricted driver and setting the resolution would be free though.
    Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i think its for free so id give it free. buti have no problem
    with charging for my time if they need help. if your a large corperate or a middling sized company then i think you should pay for the support at least or even make a donation specific to the OS you install.
    "Windows Vista Sir?"
    "No thanks, I'd rather shove wasps up my nostrils!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast