Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good Ruby on Rails IDE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

A good Ruby on Rails IDE.

In preparation for a project next year, I'm looking for a really good IDE for Ruby on Rails. I wanted to ask, what IDEs are really good for Rails?

In my experience, I prefered Aptana's RadRails, but for some reason, my laptop's Ubuntu partition has a hard time trying to download both Aptana and Rad Rails for Eclipse (I tried downloading RadRails through Aptana...didn't work). I somewhat like the jEdit's split screen, but the Hardy Heron jEdit package doesn't run on this laptop either. I have yet to try netbeans...but I will soon.

I don't plan on using emacs or scite (or Gedit) for this. It's too much of a hassle to look through the directories with them.

Beans

Re: A good Ruby on Rails IDE.

aptana (radrails plugin).... netbeans (rails plugin)....

FIX: sorry didnt read your whole post about aptana... try netbeans.
    Last edited by gjj391; April 30th, 2008 at 08:17 PM.

anjuta is a pleasant editor with a built-in file browser.

Beans

Of course, textmate is the editor of choice for the mac, which seems to be a common rails development platform in the rails community.

Gnome has gedit, which can possess all the same features via plugins (see my screenshot in the attachment). That's using the bash shell, snap open, file browser, class browser, and code snippets plugins. Using plugins (some of which are in the repos) makes gedit excellent for programming.

Additional plugins can be found on the gedit website, and should be extracted to ~/.gnome2/gedit/plugins

I hope that helps you (It's certainly the tool I use for Rails/Ruby).

Ryan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by rye_ View Post
    Of course, textmate is the editor of choice for the mac, which seems to be a common rails development platform in the rails community.

Gnome has gedit, which can possess all the same features via plugins (see my screenshot in the attachment). That's using the bash shell, snap open, file browser, class browser, and code snippets plugins. Using plugins (some of which are in the repos) makes gedit excellent for programming.

Additional plugins can be found on the gedit website, and should be extracted to ~/.gnome2/gedit/plugins

Ryan
    Very nice setup you've got there, Ryan. Thanks for sharing it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rye_ View Post

Ryan
    I'll try that, thanks.

Beans

I ought to have also mentioned the (very useful) 'external tools' plugin which is part of the gedit plugins package in the repos.

EDIT see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...97#post4927397

Ryan
    Last edited by rye_; May 10th, 2008 at 06:40 PM. Reason: updated subject reference

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Re: A good Ruby on Rails IDE.

Quote Originally Posted by japtar10101 View Post
    In preparation for a project next year, I'm looking for a really good IDE for Ruby on Rails. I wanted to ask, what IDEs are really good for Rails?

In my experience, I prefered Aptana's RadRails, but for some reason, my laptop's Ubuntu partition has a hard time trying to download both Aptana and Rad Rails for Eclipse (I tried downloading RadRails through Aptana...didn't work). I somewhat like the jEdit's split screen, but the Hardy Heron jEdit package doesn't run on this laptop either. I have yet to try netbeans...but I will soon.

I don't plan on using emacs or scite (or Gedit) for this. It's too much of a hassle to look through the directories with them.

I'd try Python instead of Ruby. It's much more powerful.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by WitchCraft View Post
    I prefer Ruby's Object Orientation syntax than Python's, actually. Also, I'm looking towards web developing, and while Python can create many websites with CGI, PHP and Ruby on Rails are more specialized to the task.

I am trying to learn Python, though....I never found the time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WitchCraft View Post
    In what way WitchCraft?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast