Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardy upgrade - Shut down screen problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Hardy upgrade - Shut down screen problem?

Sorry. Of course. What I ultimately ended up doing to solve the problem with my login screen being too large was to open the xorg conf file:

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Then, there should be a section in the file that more or less looks like this:

Code:
    Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Device		"nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
    	Monitor		"Generic Monitor"
    	Defaultdepth	24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Depth	24
    		Virtual	1280	1024
    		Modes		"1280x1024@60"	"1280x960@75"	"1280x960@60"	"1400x1050@60"	"1280x1024@75"	"1600x1200@60"	"1152x864@75"	"1024x768@60"	"1024x768@70"	"1024x768@75"	"832x624@75"	"800x600@60"	"800x600@75"	"800x600@72"	"800x600@56"	"640x480@75"	"640x480@72"	"640x480@60"
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection
    Previously, next to the Virtual setting, I had 1600 1280. This is what made the login screen have too high a resolution. I just changed to 1280 1024 and the problem was solved.

Hope that helps. Did you try changing the style in the login window to see if that provides a more permanent solution to the messy shutdowns?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thank you! I did not have any "Virtual" line in my xorg file. So I added it as you described and now it's okay, the login screen fits.
    Regarding the shut-down problem... actually, now it is okay. Yesterday I did quite a few start/shut cycles, always the same (deleting and re-writing the text in "..." in the same "Login Windows" dialog session, and at one point it stuck: without touching the dialog anymore, I was able to get the proper shut-down screen.
    Now I did the modif you described, switching the "local" style to "plain" and I got the garbaged shut-down. So switched back to "themed" style, and got back the normal and smooth shut-down. And now it seems to be okay again. As you say, this shut-down problem seems very much related to the login set-up files...
    Again, as I am using a desktop, all this verbage about Network Manager should not come up anyway as it is related only to laptop. I got also a little error previously about the "battery" (FATAL:error inserting the battery...) and of course there's no battery. I got rid of that by adding "ACPI=force" in the kernel line of the grub menu. All this seems related, as the type of PC may be detected during login I suppose.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ok, now lets see if anyone can come up with how to fix this problem with kdm/kde since im having the same problems as you all, but dont have the same options

im sure i have the equivalent buried somewhere in kcontrol, anyone have any clues???

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi. I installed Hardy today on my Dell 640m and seems I have the same shutdown problem. After pressing shutdown or reboot desktop icons and bars disappear but system hangs showing the wallpaper picture and I have to press shutdown button or Crl-Alt-Backspace to complete the shutdown process.
    Typing "sudo halt" in the terminal works and no system hang is observed.
    Last edited by neutrino82; May 4th, 2008 at 08:49 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I found that the cause of my problem was a little program I installed "keytouch" that for some reason prevented gnome session to end. Uninstalling it made shutdown work in my case. Hope this can help even if maybe this is not related with the problem encountered by other people in this thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg T. View Post
    I can confirm that this fix works for me as well. I've just tried it and had two successful reboots and two successful shutdowns in row for the first time since upgrading to Hardy. I had a bit of trouble following the shorthand references in the posts above, so I'll offer a lengthier description for those who may wish to try this.

Go to "System" -> "Administration" -> "Login Window". In the "General" tab, press "Edit Commands...", which will launch a window titled "Reboot, Halt, Suspend and Custom Command Preferences". In this window, select "Halt command" in the drop-down box for "Command Type:". Underneath it, in the "Path:" box, cut the verbiage in quotes: "Shut Down via gdm." After doing so, press "Apply Command Change", then paste the quoted phrase back into the "Path:" box and hit the "Apply Command Change" button again. Finally, go through the same process for the "Reboot command" in the "Command Type:" drop-down, again cutting the quoted phrase, applying the change, pasting the quote, and applying the change.

YAY
    That did it!
    My shutdowns and reboots are a matter of seconds, not minutes.

I recommend this

HP Pavilion DV3505ea Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz - 2GB RAM - 160GB HDD - nVidia GeForce 9300M GS - Intel 5100AGN Wireless

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Greg T. View Post
    Go to "System" -> "Administration" -> "Login Window". In the "General" tab, press "Edit Commands...", which will launch a window titled "Reboot, Halt, Suspend and Custom Command Preferences". In this window, select "Halt command" in the drop-down box for "Command Type:". Underneath it, in the "Path:" box, cut the verbiage in quotes: "Shut Down via gdm." After doing so, press "Apply Command Change", then paste the quoted phrase back into the "Path:" box and hit the "Apply Command Change" button again. Finally, go through the same process for the "Reboot command" in the "Command Type:" drop-down, again cutting the quoted phrase, applying the change, pasting the quote, and applying the change.
    Fantastic. Worked like a charm for me (lenovo R61i laptop with 8.04 on it). Finally I got rid of the annoying wait on shut down and reboot. Thanks a lot !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Worked for me too. Thank you!

Beans

Yeah, but when you do a "ctrl+alt+backspace", the problem comes back!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by darkshado View Post
    Yeah, but when you do a "ctrl+alt+backspace", the problem comes back!
    I have not noticed that behavior on my machine as yet.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast