Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Restore GRUB (if your MBR is messed up)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Restore GRUB (if your MBR is messed up)

Quote Originally Posted by limit223
    I don't know if somehow it helps someone here or ...
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Glad it helped....
    ...optimize, clarify, open, Share....knowledge.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

In the original directions, what is the point of going through the partitioner and mounting stuff? Is it solely so we can skip to anyywhere we want?

I am trying to restore GRUB too, and I found that by going into the Ash shell from the install and then exiting, it would throw an error and let me skip to Install GRUB in the menu. However, when I tried Installing GRUB from the installer, it complained that /target was not there. I think maybe it was something I did in the shell, but I don't remember it being there when I started the shell. What's /target supposed to be mounted as?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Arnieboy, I agree with Curlydave's post, point #4 needs more explaination.

Also, you're referring to "the Ubuntu CD". Since most people here have two of them lying around, you should mention that this is the Ubuntu Install CD.

And finally, before your step #8, I got an "Not installing to unclean target" error, which I also had to skip using "Continue". Don't know if this is common, but it might be worth mentioning.

For the rest, a good guide. This is also the way I restored my GRUB after messing with the partition tables...

Beans

This is really hard to comprehend and do for a newb. Old DOS instructions were "Clear" and easy to follow, not so with Linux.

I downloaded Grub-Disk program from the repository and it is suppose to let me put the Grub Boot on a floppy. Where do these things go when they get downloaded, installed, and don't show up in any Applications? I tried using the "Search" but I don't have permission for much. Copied the list of Linux Commands, but like I said, more muddy than clear.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by one2one
    Where do these things go when they get downloaded, installed, and don't show up in any Applications?
    This is a bit off-topic, but in Synaptic, select the package you just installed (should have a green box in front of it), then click the Properties button, and go to the Installed Files tab. There you can always see which files were installed and where.

But I agree with you that applications are often difficult to find back after installation. At least in Windows, they all ended up under Program Files...

Beans

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curlydave
    Select your appropriate Linux partition using the up and down arrow keys, and press enter. Then select the "mount point" option, and press enter. From the list, select the "/" option that indicates the root file system. Select the option labled "bootable flag" by pressing enter on it. Save the changes to the partition..
    i did everything but still same...
    how to save the cahnges to the partition?
    i follow all the steps but still same

so how................

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: [Resolved]HOWTO: Restore GRUB (if your MBR is messed up)

I've followed the first post and installed GRUB but it just won't show up. I installed ubuntu on a clean harddrive (fresh partition) and it was fine until I installed Win XP and now I am stuck with it. I did what it says in the installation partitioner and pressed continue for 2 errors, select install grub, shows that I have WinXP (ubuntu is not on the list, however) and installed (I think). Then the screen flashes and go back to the 2 errors and back to the selection menu. When I restarted it go straight into Windows without any trace of GRUB. Any help, anyone? Thanks

Edit:Appearantly Windows installs MBR onto my other harddrive (hdb) so my GRUB was fine all along.
    Last edited by robinl; February 1st, 2006 at 10:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Thank you very much arnieboy. this is veeery useful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AlMaSoUdI
    i did everything but still same...
    how to save the cahnges to the partition?
    i follow all the steps but still same
    I had the same problem until I toggled the bootable flag for each partition, selected the "done with this partition" option, and then toggled the flag back to the desired settings...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast