Page 49 of 57 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Re: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

well, I downloaded the "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run" from nvidia.com and tried to install it.
    I have the K7 kernel and all extras to it, headers and so.
    But when I trie to run the NVIDIA installer it just tells me that it cant find nvidia.ko or something like that and the installer ends. =(
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wrong Thread ... reposting in the Nvidia thread.
    Last edited by mcwtlg; February 28th, 2006 at 10:46 PM.
    Food for Thought | Fuel for the Fire

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Who can use a Composite Manager? I hate to say it, but only people with Nvidia cards, an ATI 9250 card (or lower) and Dapper, or a fast enough computer.
    What is ATI 9250 *and lower*?
    I have an ATI x300 or whatever it's called on my Dell Inspiron 9300. Is that supported?
    FWIW: I have 3d acceleration going fine.

- Ketil

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by kwaanens
    I have an ATI x300 or whatever it's called on my Dell Inspiron 9300. Is that supported?

- Ketil
    Just what it says: an ATI 9250 or older card. Your card's newer, so is not supported (well) by the open-source drivers, and the binary ATI driver's composite support stinks.
    Remember: if your problem is not described on a Launchpad bug, it can only be fixed by accident!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jnk
    well, I downloaded the "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run" from nvidia.com and tried to install it.
    I have the K7 kernel and all extras to it, headers and so.
    But when I trie to run the NVIDIA installer it just tells me that it cant find nvidia.ko or something like that and the installer ends. =(
    You have to follow (and write down some of) ALL of the red Method 2 here:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=75074

Its actually pretty darn hard to install the latest Nvidia drivers, but you have to do it if you want this stuff to be semi-stable.

If you can't get it to work (and I don't blame you- its some command line time) I say think about upgrading to Dapper. No one who really cares about stability messes with this sort of stuff (even with the newest driver there are lock ups sometimes) so upgrading to Dapper will give you the new drivers. Heck, you can mess with XGL then (which is far beyond anything in this guide).

Or just install the new Nvidia drivers. Either way. But otherwise this is just not stable enough to mess with long term.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

- Ketil
    No. Only older ATI cards work with this guide.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by RAOF
    Just what it says: an ATI 9250 or older card.
    That's why I asked. I have no idea how ATI numbers its graphic cards, or how old 9250 is.

So, any hope for good ATI-support (soon), or should I find out how much it will cost to put in an Nvidia instead? (Any ideas anyone?)

- Ketil

Beans

Just some quick questions I've been (almost) dying to ask. In Dapper, what Xorg version will be included? And how about composite managers? Can we expect a bit more stability in these coming release?

I've been able to successfully (after the nth try) install the NVIDIA driver (GeForce4 MX4000) and the kcompmgr works well, except for the annoying memory leak when it comes to shadows (which I would prefer to use over translucency...)

OT: More power to you poofy!

Beans

That's why I asked. I have no idea how ATI numbers its graphic cards, or how old 9250 is.

So, any hope for good ATI-support (soon), or should I find out how much it will cost to put in an Nvidia instead? (Any ideas anyone?)

- Ketil
    ATI seems to not want to change their ways.

My official advice to anyone that asks is to move to an Nvidia card.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fenyx
    Just some quick questions I've been (almost) dying to ask. In Dapper, what Xorg version will be included?

And how about composite managers? Can we expect a bit more stability in these coming release?
    Pretty much the same state of Breezy if you don't count compiz. Count that and its a whole new world.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Page 49 of 57 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast