Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How does Arch have low quality packages?

Beans

Re: How does Arch have low quality packages?

I think the package quality of Arch is high, e.g., the Arch devs dealt with that kernel bug very quickly.

Incidentally, firefox is one package that is patched. That is the reason it's called "Bon Echo".

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I just wish that all the packages were updated as quickly for security issues. Mplayer is still vulnerable and the patches to fix it were released almost a month ago. Granted, it isn't a critical part of the system, but given its popularity, and the fact that it is in Extra, I would think that it would have been updated by now. (I even bumped the bug by adding direct links to the patches that Mplayerhq released) Which reminds me, I need to pull down the PKGBUILD and rebuild it myself with those patches...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yabbadabbadont View Post
    I just wish that all the packages were updated as quickly for security issues. Mplayer is still vulnerable and the patches to fix it were released almost a month ago. Granted, it isn't a critical part of the system, but given its popularity, and the fact that it is in Extra, I would think that it would have been updated by now. (I even bumped the bug by adding direct links to the patches that Mplayerhq released) Which reminds me, I need to pull down the PKGBUILD and rebuild it myself with those patches...
    Good point. A month is a long time. I wonder how many packages are in that state...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
    Good point. A month is a long time. I wonder how many packages are in that state...
    Not only that, but the PKGBUILD in the official cvs for mplayer won't build due to an invalid URL in the source array. It was easily fixed, but it made me wonder about the quaility of the tree. I poked around a bit in the tree and decided that I would rather put gentoo back on my machine. I'm booted on the liveDVD now. (which is why I've been a bit slow in the games threads )

Beans

I just got my first complaint when mpd was updated but a dependicy was forgotten. It was fixed quickly though.

Beans
    Distro

@RedSquirrel: Hey, if you stay on Arch, would you mind testing a PKGBUILD for me now and then. I have a package in the AUR that I maintain. "ca-certificates" It tracks the Debian (and Ubuntu and Gentoo) package by the same name, and hasn't been updated by them since early last year, so I doubt that I would need to bug you anytime soon.

Beans

Sure, no problem.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
    Sure, no problem.
    Thank you. I'm going offline for a while. I have to rebuild gcc and python, and then build xorg and fluxbox. Have fun in the word games without me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12