As always:

Code:
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install

Edit: Here an easy .deb installation file from Getdeb: Link

This is the changelog:

* libpurple
    o Real usernames are now shown in the system log.
    o We now honor a PURPLE_DISABLE_DEPRECATED define to allow plugins to catch deprecated functions earlier rather than later.
    o Thanks to a patch from Intel, the Bonjour prpl now supports file transfers using XEP-0096 and XEP-0065. This should enable file transfers between libpurple clients and Gajim clients, but will not work with iChat or Adium as they use a different file transfer implementation.
    o XMPP password changes that return errors no longer cause the saved password to be changed.
    o XMPP file transfer support has been enhanced to support sending files through a proxy when the server supports discovering a a bytestream proxy. This should make file transfers much more reliable. The next release will add support for manually specifying a proxy when the server doesn't advertise one.
    * Pidgin
    o If a plugin says it can't be unloaded, we now display an error and remove the plugin from the list of saved plugins so it won't load at the next startup. Previously, we were ignoring this case, which could lead to crashes.
    o Connection errors are now reported in mini-dialogs inside the buddy list, rather than as buttons in the buddy list and with dialog boxes. If several accounts are disabled when you sign on elsewhere, you can now re-enable them all with a single click.
    o Added tooltips to the Room List window to show full topics
    o Added buttons in preferences to access GNOME network and browser preferences configuration dialogs when running under GNOME
    o If you alias a buddy to an alias that is already present within a particular group, we now offer to merge the buddies into the same contact.
    o A music emblem is now displayed in the buddy list for a buddy if we know she is listening to some soothing music.
    o Added a 'Move to' menu in buddy list context menu for moving buddies to other groups as an alternative to dragging.
    o Group headings are now marked via an underline instead of a different color background.
    o It is now possible to mark a chat on your buddy list as "Persistent" so you do not leave the chat when the window or tab is closed.
    o The auto-join option for chats is now listed in the "Add Chat" dialog along with the new persistence option.
    o Closing an IM no longer immediately closes your conversation. It will now remain active for a short time so that if the conversation resumes, the history will be retained. A preference has been added to toggle this behavior.
    o The "Smiley" menu has been moved to the top-level of the toolbar.
    o Pidgin's display is now saved with the command line for session restoration. (David Mohr)
    o ICQ Birthday notifications are shown as buddy list emblems.
    o Plugin actions are now available from the docklet context menu in addition to the Tool menu of the buddy list.
    o The manual page has been heavily rewritten to bring it in line with current functionality.
    * Finch
    o If a plugin says it can't be unloaded, we now display an error and remove the plugin from the list of saved plugins so it won't load at the next startup. Previously, we were ignoring this case, which could lead to crashes.
    o It's possible to bind key-strokes to specific menuitems in the windows. Read the 'Menus' section in the man-page for details.
    o 'transpose-chars' operation for the entry boxes. The default key-binding is ctrl+t.
    o 'yank' operation for the entry boxes. The default binding is ctrl+y
    * Windows-specific changes
    o Updated SILC to use SILC Toolkit 1.1.5.
    Last edited by Kosimo; December 6th, 2007 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Adding Getdeb link

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Pidgin 2.3.0 Released!

is the MSP14 merge in there yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by st4rdr1ft3r View Post
    is the MSP14 merge in there yet?
    Apparently not, I've heard that the dev's have done it, but they simply haven't put it into Pidgin yet. Ironing out a few bugs I guess.

So, is Pidgin ever going to appear in Update Manager, or will we always have to compile from source? Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but don't we Ubuntu users have to add something to the ./configure line?

EDIT: Ah, yes. This is what I meant...
    Code:
    Pidgin will be installed in /usr/local/bin.
    Warning: You have an old copy of Pidgin at /usr/bin/pidgin.
    Last edited by Steve Fisher; November 27th, 2007 at 11:48 AM.

Beans

Trying to install this under Kubunut but having problems.

Pidgin appears in the menu but with no icon. When I try and run it it starts to load for a while but nothing else happen it just disappears from the taskbar.

It appears to install with any problems, any ideas? How do I completely remove it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Having problems as well. Removed old Pidgin via synaptic, then did the usual ./configure, make, sudo make install. Everything seemed OK, but Pidgin won't launch.
    Code:
    fish@el-crappo-lappo:~$ pidgin
    pidgin: symbol lookup error: pidgin: undefined symbol: purple_account_get_current_error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Edit:

This deb I've created doesn't works.

Sorry guys.
    Last edited by Kosimo; November 27th, 2007 at 01:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

nope... didn't work for me i'm afraid (the .deb that is)

Beans

Im not entirely sure this actually fixed the problem. But I got an error that it couldn't load libpurple or something along those lines, sorry should have noted the exact message.

So I installed libpurple0 from Synaptic, Reinstalled Pidgin and it's now working.

Edit:
    Or not, Pidgin now loads but cant use MSN "SSL Support is needed for MSN"
    Libssl 0.9.8 is already installed. So I tried installing libssl-dev and re-installing Pidgin but no difference.

Any suggestions?

Bloody hell, I didn't think installing Pidgin would be so difficult . I might just keep using Kopete. I just like to use the same apps across Linux and Windows whenever possible,,,
    Last edited by FooAtari; November 27th, 2007 at 01:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I want more smileys with Pidgin, where are they?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast