Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Ubuntu supporting a monopoly?

Beans

Why is Ubuntu supporting a monopoly?

Hello,

why the standard search engine in Ubuntu Firefox ist Google? Are there any agreements with this company? And if there are any, so why? Google has a current market share of 85,75%:

Users should have free choice of using:
    • operating systems
    • browers
    • search engines

Some weeks ago the EU forced Microsoft to offer a range of browsers to set as the default one, I think that should be done for search engines in Ubuntu Firefox as well.

The Yahoo search engine, which now has been removed for unexpected reasons , was a good step, as it doesn't have a that strong market position by far. But the worst thing is to set a monopoly as standard.

I thought in Linux communities people would have a better understanding of how bad monpolies are.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Why is Ubuntu supporting a monopoly?

Actually, you can change the search engine to whatever you desire in two clicks. Besides, Microsoft bought Yahoo - you were saying something about a monopoly?
    BootInfoScript - Thanks, meierfra & caljohnsmith

Remastersys - Thanks, Fragadelic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

because its the best ?

I dont really like google much after they said Android would be open then started sending out C&D letters to people who developed for it, but at the end of the day its the best search engine.

First thing I did with Beta1 was switch it back to Google.

they may have crap business ethics, but the search engine they provide is the best out there
    Saner had mental issues, and therefor any help / advice is followed at your own risk

Beans
    Distro

A one beaner started this to cause a useless discussion. A mod should kill it and save bandwidth. This forum is to help people with problems with Lucid.
    HP g72t icore3 with intel graphics and broadcom 4313 wireless running 13.04unity, Ubuntu GNOME updated to 13.10 and a 13.10 unity. Plus using older desktop machine running 12.04 Lubuntu with nvidia geforce mx400.

Beans

Well, Microsoft didn't buy Yahoo!, but Yahoo! uses the Microsoft's Bing search engine so Saner's point is still a good one. The important thing is that choice remains and is obvious to users as it is currently.
    Last edited by mrsurb; April 10th, 2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: clarified who I am responding to

Beans

Actually, you can change the search engine to whatever you desire in two clicks.
    You can also install Firefox instead of Internet Explorer on Windows but the EU decided the user has to make a choice before using it. There shouldn't be any commercial software products set as standard.
    Besides, Microsoft bought Yahoo - you were saying something about a monopoly?
    Yahoo has a lower market share so it's a better choice. What I proposed is a toggle between the most known search engines. There are still ask.com and others.
    because its the best ?
    Ask Windows users and they'll say Windows is the best. That's ignorance and laziness. You never know until you let users the choice. If they are gamers they don't have a choice of other OS today.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sg4032 View Post
    Yahoo has a lower market share so it's a better choice.
    Wonderful criteria for choosing a better choice.

By the way, what's your real forum handle ?

Beans

Maybe we should ask Bing! for a solution.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ubuntu supports Monopoly?
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

So they switch to yahoo and theres a huge thread of people complaining (or saying they don't care and will switch back to google anyway) then they change it back and people still complain.
    IMO Google is the best search engine, it should be default. If it's switched to anything else I will change back straight away

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast