Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Linux Interface Ideas.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Lightbulb Re: New Linux Interface Ideas. - Nautilus

hey guys!

i've made this nautilus mockup you can see some posts before. i'm very proud that i am featured here!
    the mockup could be much better, but i wanted to keep it simple and it seems you got the most points i wanted to show, which is great.

the search in nautilus should work like in any music-app.
    how it works yet: you can type the starting letters of an object. this works pretty handy.
    how it could work:
    example you have an object called "ubuntu" in the directory you are browsing. if you type some letters now, nautilus should...
    1) ... scroll to the first object which matches the string in any way and it should be possible to easily browse through all objects which match. so by typing "unt" the folder/file called "ubuntu" could be selected.
    this cannot be much work because the thing with the starting letters works fine, and theres another feature which also is nearly what we need (in relation to the example above: press ctrl+s and type "*unt*").
    2) ... filter the content of the viewed directory, so only the matching objects are displayed.
    Last edited by lukeen; December 4th, 2007 at 04:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: New Linux Interface Ideas.

I like what's being done here, they're some very nice themes, but they look very macesq and from what I've read the high ups (who eventually decide on the final theme), think the glossy mac look is kinda dead. I'm not saying I agree, and I don't quite get what they mean because I know plenty of people who love it still but if you want to stand a fair chance of being considered then i think you should take this into consideration.

There's one which I really like which is in post 48, this is nice and simple and could really work. Not too sure about the big orange box over the top, but that's easily changed.

good work guys

Beans

I have been following the mock ups for Hardy themes that people have been making, while there are some good point to them they are just up to the level of what BradwJensen has designed. As I said in a previous post I don't think the idea of the dock will get used, but I don't want the rest of this great theme to get over looked. So I mixed the panels of another submitted mockup with the ones in this thread. What does everyone think? I think its to brown with that wallpaper, but thats not an issue.

http://ubuntuforums.org/g/images/236...04_Mock_up.jpg

Beans

The contrast is way too intense for me. Try toning down the brown a little bit (maybe make the brown lighter, or at least the wallpaper brighter ).
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CitroenC4 View Post
    I have been following the mock ups for Hardy themes that people have been making, while there are some good point to them they are just up to the level of what BradwJensen has designed. As I said in a previous post I don't think the idea of the dock will get used, but I don't want the rest of this great theme to get over looked. So I mixed the panels of another submitted mockup with the ones in this thread. What does everyone think? I think its to brown with that wallpaper, but thats not an issue.

http://ubuntuforums.org/g/images/236...04_Mock_up.jpg
    You know, i've seenthat other theme too and was going to work a little more on buttons and things on this to see if i can make it a little mix between what i have here and what that person has for a little bit of glass without making it feel like a plastic cold theme.

But i probably wont get to working on it til after Xmas day.

Beans

Yeh I thought the contrast was way to much as well, but I felt it was more related to the dark wallpaper then anything else . I think the wallpapers in Hardy should really be photos rather then fancy computer generated stuff. If the idea is to get to an earthy theme then some nice natural photos would do the job. I think some black and white photos would go well with the mix theme. Was that panel design yours smartboyathome? I am saving all these theme ideas into a folder as they come up but can't remember who did what now. I think BradwJensen your idea of have those panels as glass might be a good one. How is the glass effect actually done and does it have certain hardware requirements like the translucent effects in Mac OS X Leopard? I might also do a mock up of the login screen with this type of theme, I really like the way Fedora 8s login screen is. Is something like that possible in Ubuntu? I wonder how the panels from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=437694 would go with your theme BradwJensen? Most people I have spoken with really do not like brown tones (I think they can look nice personally, but I don't think the wider community do) but the tones in that theme are really nicely done and in fact pretty much along the lines of this web site.

Beans

@CitroenC4: What panel design? Mine was the smooth gradient one from Black to brown.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

Ah sorry, I found the thread again with the panel design I mixed with BradwJensen's- http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=638584

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Just my 0.02. I liked Nautilus so much that I downloaded XFCE and replaced it for Thunar.
    Read within my lines, hehehe...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BradwJensen View Post
    --Okay:
    So far I've made a "Dark Mockup" & "Light Mockup" in Photoshop of a Ubuntu/Mac theme because i find the mac theme to be clean/simple/to-the-point; while the Ubuntu theme already has its thing going like the address bar.. lol

(1)
    Removed a few buttons: like search/my computer. I also moved the folder/icon resizer buttons to the bottom right of the window and changed it to a slider rather than keep it being two buttons because i believe it makes it not only easier/quicker to understand/use, but funner.. It also saves space.

(2)
    I also merged the top title bar of the window with the drop down menus.. It's an idea from iTunes on windows xp. It gives us more space for other things.. But i find that if it were like that on Pidgin (where the window is not very wide for all the menus to be shown in the title bar) we'd probably have to have it automatically change to just a button that drops down on the left of the title bar having the menus in that button. This would happen automatically when one shrinks a window too much..

(3)
    I also added a Search text box on the window itself to replace the search button and make in simpler/faster to understand/use..

(4)
    Merged the back/forth/up buttons because it not only saves space -- but anyone who's ever used a computer or will ever be shown how to use a computer will easily understand/know what they are and how they work.
    LOVE it mate.. This really should be the default.

The black version is soooo sexy...

edit: for spelling
    Last edited by steve-de-buntu; December 27th, 2007 at 05:57 AM.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast