Thread: Upgrading and reliability

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Upgrading and reliability

There was a thread about what people were going to do, upgrade or fresh install. The fresh installers won the poll. The Ubuntu development team lost it.

I trusted the developers, but my windows decoration went away by upgrading. I know this has happened to others too. Windows decoration is a very noticeable problem, what worries me is what should I expect from not so visible parts of the system?

I guess I'll backup my home folder and do a fresh install.

This kind of issues don't help Ubuntu's reputation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Upgrading and reliability

you're using compiz right? or is this a different issue? if you are, see "first steps" under this guide:

http://forlong.blogage.de/article/20...-Ubuntu-Feisty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for your good will, but I'm not repairing this mess. I'm just too afraid other things are equally broken.

I just went to ubuntu.com, looking for the download for my fresh install. I went to "upgrade" (just being curious) and read this sentence:

"Be sure that you have all updates applied to Ubuntu 7.04 before you upgrade"
    Well, I did not do that. Just why oh why didn't the upgrading process do that for me? This is plain stupid.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I haven't had the pleasure of upgrading yet which I tried doing last night, but the Distribution Upgrade tool just sits there while reading from cache, I let it run all night and when I checked on it in the morning it was still doing that.

Then I tried running the upgrade again during the day with the same results.

So I might try to upgrade in a week or two, otherwise I will have to think about reinstalling, which I don't like doing.
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources