View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 90 of 176 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

MIne worked just perfectly fine. I hit upgrade from the updater tool and it went through asked a few questions along the way and when I finished I restarted and that was it. That simple... And boring.

One thing that it did do though was have my screen resolution changed but that was fixed easily by System>Preferences>Screen Resolution. Not at all a problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

The install has, for the most part, been flawless. However Gutsy does appear to make my laptop run noticeably hotter than Edgy did, and I have had to tinker with some settings to make sure everything ran. Also, OpenOffice stopped working - except the Writer (i.e. Word clone). Presentation, Database, and Spreadsheet all stopped working entirely and I'm not quite sure why. Will be reinstalling later.
    Last edited by nonpareilpearl; November 4th, 2007 at 08:12 PM. Reason: typo
    Qubuntu - Linux of the Continuum

Beans

I had to use the package manager to work out some things then it installed like a champ. Left it to download overnight and took awhile but I really like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

i downloaded ubuntu and kubuntu 7.10 right after they were released and to be honest im quit disapointed . althought they both installed flawlessly,

the problems soon began to show their ugly head. i made an ubuntu partition to play wow seperately from my mail/www session running kubuntu. after i had finally installed wow and patched it up through the blizzard updater the patition became corrupt after only 2 log ins. luckely i managed to save the downloaded patch for wow via my kubuntu partition.

then i expierenced install problems on my kubuntu partition, the normal programs via adept are not the problem but when i tried to install avast and skype i got an error from gdebi stating that the packages are empty, althought they installed just fine on ubuntu 7.10 and kubuntu 7.04,

when i downloaded 7.10 i hoped the annoying mic problem would be solved but still it isnt! very annoying when you want to talk to your friends via skype.

I reinstalled kubuntu about 4 times and only once did i manage to get gdebi to run the installers and even then something screwed the instalation over. i got so fed up with the whole wow /gdebi fiasco that i re-installed xp after 4 months just to play wow and kubuntu , still with the gdebi problem to read my mail/browse the web.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

audio not working the way it should
    check my wonderful blog -> www.suppah.eu
    i am NOT this guy -> http://pekwm.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Upgraded Gutsy from Feisty on a PC I occasionally use as desktop: took me a whole evening to get it to a usable state.

The upgrade procedure first stopped after 15 mins working full-time, telling me there was insufficient disk space for the upgrade. True: my / partition is only 8 gigs (6 used) but there is about a Terabyte available on other filesystems that could have been used for extra scratch space. Never mind, I removed lots of packages and got enough space to restart. This time it died with no easy-to-answer reason, leaving apt/sources.list in an inconsistent state. I had to manually correct all sources and run apt-get dist-upgrade 5 or 6 times to get things through, removing some packages manually because they created conflicts, or correcting some stuff on the fly with dpkg. Not an easy experience.

Since then it works reasonably well but I discover new issues every day. Screensaver was not working so I reinstalled it, then it started itself without being asked every 2 minutes (quite unnerving especially when watching movies). I got rid of that by disabling Xgl and replacing it with X. k3b does not burn CDs any more, memory consumption goes up the roof then crash. The system was initially close to unusable because of CPU and memory usage caused by 'tracker'. Configuring it for no indexing and no watching did not change much, removing it totally solved the issue.

No hard feelings, I have come to expect such things for every new release. It would just be nicer to say "Please upgrade during the first 3 months after release if you can afford several nights of testing, otherwise wait".

About tracker: I just do not understand the idea of having a resource-hungry application constantly running in background for a desktop machine. This is not Ubuntu-specific: I had to disable Spotlight on my Mac to use it at all, and removed all desktop-search applications on Windows to be able to work. Ubuntu would be better focusing about being a better OS, not copying the same mistakes.

Still have a few rough corners with Gutsy, will use the forums to get through.

Beans

Upgrade worked but it was scary.

First it gave me a list of items no longer supported by Cannonical. I wondered if I needed some of them.

Then it said it could not install all sorts of things due to dependency problems, including very basic items like login, bash and sudo. I started worrying.

Then it said it "Could not install the upgrades. The upgrade aborts now. Your system could be in an unstable state. A recovery will run now (dpkg --configure -a)." I figured I had a disaster on my hands.

The clock to finishing stopped at 35 minutes but it continued to install.

Ultimately it finished and did nothing. I tested a few programs and saw they were new. I rebooted and everything was fine.

System is a 5 year old Gateway with 384M of RAM, Intel on a chip graphics, internet goes through a router.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I tried upgrading from a fully functional ubuntu feisty installed via debootstrap since it was running on a xen0. But something went wrong and I'm now left with a kindof broken system. Apache and the likes won't start due to segmentation fault and dpkg gives me the following error:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

the output when I run that command:

Code:
    misse@valentine:~> echo `sudo dpkg --configure -a` >> lol.log
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/module-init-tools.postinst: line 110:  1379 Segmenteringsfel        update-rc.d module-init-tools start 15 S . > /dev/null
    dpkg: fel vid hantering av module-init-tools (--configure):
     underprocess post-installation script gav felkod 139
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/procps.postinst: line 93:  1385 Segmenteringsfel        update-rc.d procps.sh start 17 S . > /dev/null
    dpkg: fel vid hantering av procps (--configure):
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/wpasupplicant.postinst: line 60:  1388 Segmenteringsfel        update-rc.d wpa-ifupdown start 15 0 6 . > /dev/null
    dpkg: fel vid hantering av wpasupplicant (--configure):
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/courier-authdaemon.postinst: line 11:  1390 Segmenteringsfel        update-rc.d courier-authdaemon defaults > /dev/null
    dpkg: fel vid hantering av courier-authdaemon (--configure):
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/vim-gui-common.postinst: line 11:  1396 Segmenteringsfel        update-mime
    dpkg: fel vid hantering av vim-gui-common (--configure):
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/vim-common.postinst: line 6:  1400 Segmenteringsfel        update-mime
    dpkg: fel vid hantering av vim-common (--configure):
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/bittornado.postinst: line 63:  1424 Segmenteringsfel        update-mime
    dpkg: fel vid hantering av bittornado (--configure):
    Which is in swedish but as you can see it's post-installation script returned error 139.

And after that it's:

Code:
    dpkg: fel vid hantering av ntp (--configure):
     beroendeproblem - lämnar okonfigurerad
    dpkg: beroendeproblem förhindrar konfigurering av courier-pop:
     courier-pop beror på postfix | mail-transport-agent, men:
      Paketet postfix har inte konfigurerats ännu.
      Paketet mail-transport-agent är ej installerat.
      Paketet postfix, som tillhandahåller mail-transport-agent, har inte konfigurerats ännu.
     courier-pop beror på courier-base (>= 0.56.0), men:
      Paketet courier-base har inte konfigurerats ännu.
    dpkg: fel vid hantering av courier-pop (--configure):
    dpkg: beroendeproblem förhindrar konfigurering av apache2:
     apache2 beror på apache2-mpm-worker (>= 2.2.4-3build1) | apache2-mpm-prefork (>= 2.2.4-3build1) | apache2-mpm-event (>= 2.2.4-3build1), men:
      Paketet apache2-mpm-worker är ej installerat.
      Paketet apache2-mpm-prefork har inte konfigurerats ännu.
      Paketet apache2-mpm-event är ej installerat.
    dpkg: fel vid hantering av apache2 (--configure):
    dpkg: beroendeproblem förhindrar konfigurering av courier-pop-ssl:
     courier-pop-ssl beror på courier-pop, men:
      Paketet courier-pop har inte konfigurerats ännu.
     courier-pop-ssl beror på courier-ssl (>= 0.56.0), men:
      Paketet courier-ssl har inte konfigurerats ännu.
    dpkg: fel vid hantering av courier-pop-ssl (--configure):
    Dependency errors.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

i did a clean install after downloading a fresh iso. kept it for about 15mins and dumped it and went back to 7.04 and am still using it. at the time i was having to use the integrated video in my machine and gutsy wouldn't give me any choice of display to speak of. 800x600 on my 17" dell monitor pretty much sucks. it also didn't want to download flashplayer either. i would love to use gnash and swf, but there are many things (like pics on ebay) that don't show.
    it's kind of funny really--i dual boot zenwalk and xubuntu---basically the same thing happened when i went from zenwalk 4.6.1 to 4.8. sooo--i have a great dual boot of xubuntu 7.04 and zenwalk 4.6.1---suits me fine--lol.

Beans

I am attracted to Ubuntu for doing professional audio recording and mastering. I Installed from Feisty CD onto my thinkpad Z61t,all went well but had problems with the Intel High Definition Audio card working. I then apt getted all of the Ubuntu-Studio bits, still could only get card to work through JACK pcm, but a lot of xruns make audio scratchy. Tried low latency kernal in Feisty and then realtime kernel. Neither kernel improved the xrun problem much, but i lost my wireless drivers.

Read on the forums that someone with a similar audio problem just updgraded to gutsy and solved their hda audio problems. I have just tried it and no change in my audio problems. Now I am going to try recompiling the gutsy kernal with alsa source as I read this may solve my problem. This has been educational, and I am sorry if sounds ungracious, but I really just want to record and start making music, not burning a dozen hours trying out many different ideas on the forums just to get a relatively common audio chipset working for JACK!

Just a little frustrating that I can't seem to put this critical part together on an otherwise dreamy installation and updating process!

Another note of interest: This thinkpad came with MS Win XP pro, Office 2003 and adobe CS3 standard. After patching the OS, applications, and installing the latest Thinkpad drivers the 60GB drive was literally half eaten up by this install, no user data on it at all!
    Wiped the drive and my current Gutsy-Ubuntustudio with open office and a large suite of Adobe like apps the drive is 5GB full before any user data!

- Dr Funn -

Page 90 of 176 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140 ... LastLast