Page 29 of 62 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] What do you like least about Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Re: What do U like least about Ubuntu?

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but I don't like seeing the Xorg background for a second or two before the KDE login screen.

I have looked for some way to hid this, but I have not found a way. I would even settle for changing it.

arnieboy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kkass
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but I don't like seeing the Xorg background for a second or two before the KDE login screen.

I have looked for some way to hid this, but I have not found a way. I would even settle for changing it.
    its one of the to-do's in the dapper drake list. same holds for gdm screen as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

That is nice to hear! Maybe it will be a fix that can be easily backported.

Beans

- cdrom speed control doesnt work...
    -Ati drivers.
    -Games and sound....
    -Im sensors (not installed by default and dont read accuratly without configuring)
    -Bin/Cue file support...(the lack of...)
    -Very unconfigured install.(other distros mount win partitions,detect internet,latest drivers by default)
    -no menus icons after installing apps
    -default GNome.....

im sure theres more but writing all these is making me depressed...
    AMD AXDL2600 2.4ghz
    ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
    512MB pc3200 RAM

Beans

I dislike least the whining tone that I think is creeping into this forum. I guess it's inevitable. It may only be the effect of many new people; although the percent of whiners is the same, the absolute number is higher and they seem to stand out more, maybe...

I mean things like, "I tried to install program X and it didn't work, ubuntu is stupid, it should be more like windows" etc, etc...

*sigh*

I can see I better get used to it or join the ranks who don't read these forums...

I don't mean criticism, btw. Nothing wrong with constructive criticism, or even handed expressions of frustration. I just find the petulent, demanding whining a bit childlike and ungrateful, given all of the fine, hard work put into this (yes, as yet imperfect) distro.

I'm hoping that bringing it up will at least encourage some people to reflect on their motivations before posting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wink Re: What do U like least about Ubuntu?

I can't come up with anything other than the fact it does not yet ship with big brand name computers.

I dislike least the whining tone that I think is creeping into this forum. I guess it's inevitable. It may only be the effect of many new people; although the percent of whiners is the same, the absolute number is higher and they seem to stand out more, maybe...
    Yes it's a bit of nerve wracking to see the inflow of frustrated Windows users immediately point out how they'd like things, but consider this: the same users are flooding other Linux forums as well. Ubuntu is a good target because it's actually getting closer and closer to what these people want (which is a Windows-replacement). I'm not saying that's what Ubuntu should be, but because it's such a good OS we're not going to be able to avoid the frustration of the users that put all their hopes into problem-free computing. Just ignore them (if they cannot be helped) and enjoy your Ubuntu.
    Last edited by blueturtl; October 21st, 2005 at 10:13 AM.
    Eternally confused.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by flibble

I mean things like, "I tried to install program X and it didn't work, ubuntu is stupid, it should be more like windows" etc, etc...
    Eventually some of those become good community members. I did. So, its worth it I say.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

"Eventually some of those become good community members. I did. So, its worth it I say."

Yes, agreed.

As I said, I think it's worth mentioning though, so that it's on the agenda. That's part of the process by which, dare I say it, "we" learn that there may be other ways of viewing our vented frustration.

Hopefully I'm on my way to becoming a good community member too
    Last edited by flibble; October 21st, 2005 at 09:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Here the things I like least about Ubuntu:
    * no SELinux
    * no proactive security
    * KDE's integration isn't as good as SUSE's
    * The Launchpad tools are no free software
    * Dependency on Debian which is very slow to adopt new technologies (like SELinux, proactive security, etc.), I know this dependency is good for other things, but it has disadvantages too
    * Cluttered menus if you have Gnome and KDE installed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by mokeyjoe

4. There's no 'Go up one level' button in Nautilus. At least not one I've found. Just that selection box in the bottom left corner which seems clunky to me.
    Go to 'View' and tick' the 'Main Toolbar' option. This make Nautilu work like a browser, similar to Konqueror of Win Explorer.

Page 29 of 62 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast