View Poll Results: Who here thinks Xubuntu is better then OS X?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use the default XFCE DE in Xubuntu)

57 35.85%
  • Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use Enlightenment 17 in Xubuntu)

10 6.29%
  • Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use GNOME in Xubuntu)

20 12.58%
  • Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use KDE in Xubuntu)

10 6.29%
  • Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use Fluxbox in Xubuntu)

10 6.29%
  • Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use Openbox in Xubuntu)

5 3.14%
  • Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use JWM in Xubuntu)

5 3.14%
  • Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use Beryl/Compiz-Fusion in Xubuntu) *select the DE above

23 14.47%
  • Disagree I prefer OS X over Xubuntu

55 34.59%
  • Other, select this option and post in the thread if you are not pigeon holed in the above options...

22 13.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Who here thinks Xubuntu is better then OS X?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Who here thinks Xubuntu is better then OS X?

Quote Originally Posted by Elotero View Post
    What is Xubuntu? Isnt it the smaller version of Ubuntu?? Theres so many Ubuntus... Studio, Mint, Puppy, Edubuntu, Xunbuntu, Kubuntu... whats the differences.. the packages only? I only know KDE is Kubuntu.. but im not even sure what the difference is between Gnome and KDE.. is it purely technical?
    What are you talking about? Puppy is entirely build from scratch. Don't deprive people of their hard work
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." -Albert Einstein
    Ubuntu User

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've been using Xubuntu with mostly satisfaction, using XFCE. I agree that the menu editor is crummy, but for just one reason: the use of the cryptic "system" menu, instead of a straightforward one. That seems to make it impossible to add programs to the subfolders.

It's possible to convert the menu to a sensible one, but why should we have to bother!

Lane
    Last edited by LaneLester; April 12th, 2008 at 12:27 PM.
    Lane Lester
    Peace Doctor

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I'm a heavy user of Xubuntu, but I'm sorry, for the average user, OS X is far superior over any Linux Distro.

I mean for us folks that like getting into the meat of Operating Systems, any Desktop friendly Linux Distro is pretty good, but working with Leopard on my iMac is a sheer pleasure (even for OS enthusiasts that get into the terminal window and muck about), and when most people ask me to recommend a new machine (Usually expecting a response like Dell or HP with Windows)... I point them towards Macs, because most people are computer illiterate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Tazix View Post
    I'm a heavy user of Xubuntu, but I'm sorry, for the average user, OS X is far superior over any Linux Distro.
    I've never used a Mac, but I understand what you mean. I, too, put a lot of mileage on Xubuntu, been using Hardy for months. I finally got tired of maintaining my wife's Win XP and moved her to Kubuntu. She's been mostly satisfied with it, although she had to dual boot to run Kyodai.

Then I bought her a new laptop, and in spite of a ton of fiddling, was unable to get the builtin wireless working. So she's running Vista, and as much as it kills me to admit it, it's very nice and runs everything she wants to run: Firefox, OpenOffice, GnuCash, and Kyodai!

Lane
    Lane Lester
    Peace Doctor

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456