Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What razor do you folks use?

Beans

What razor do you folks use?

Just a general question that I figured I'd ramble about on a bored friday night before going to bed... I always used disposable razors for a while until recently when I started to shave my head. I lost a bet, however I decided to keep the look for at least the summer, so I invested in a better razor.

I tried a few electrics, and they were all failures. They all left me with strange razor burn that was different (and sometimes more annoying) than what a blade leaves me with. The disposable razors I used were decent, however they did not have a pivoting head, which made the back of my head difficult to get the job done unless I spent a lot of extra time making sure I was shaving at a proper angle.

I went with a Schick Quattro Titanium. I meant to get he Gillette Mach 3, but the Quattro had an extra blade for a buck or so cheaper, so I couldn't help but to grab it. However, I ended up getting the Mach 3 days later. The Quattro was nice, very nice in fact, however I have thick hair, so it'd gunk up the cartridges REALLY quick, and without a can of air or some kind of higher pressure water blast from the faucet I was unable to get the blades completely clean of the gunk. This was due to the way the cartridges are on the Quattro, because there's some extra plastic covering the back of it which the gunk would hide under. The Mach 3, despite it having a blade less, did the same exact job shaving (as far as closeness, smoothness, etc) and yet it was muuuuuch easier to clean with a simple run under the faucet.

Needless to say, I am currently a Mach 3 user. I couldn't justify the Gillette Fusion. Looked really nice, but something was just telling me that the Mach 3 was all I needed... and the bottom line is, I'm satisfied with what I got. But I cannot comment on the longevity of the Mach 3 cartridges, because I have only used the Mach 3 a few times and have not needed to replace the cartridge yet. So I can only hope it lasts relatively long!

Now that I have successfully rambled about a simple topic, I believe I am going to bed now. 6 AM comes early!
    Last edited by Roasted; August 11th, 2007 at 04:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What razor do you folks use?

Interesting thought. I've been a Gillette Atra person since day 1. The blades are cheap, easy pivoting head, and relatively easy to clean with a tap or two in the sink. Cheap is good. The mach3, quatro, and whatever else they are going to throw at the populous, I don't think I will look into purchasing until they are much cheaper. I mean, i can buy a 20 pack of the atra blades for just under five bucks in my area, and those usually last me a little over three months. It's a convenience vs price factor.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The Fusion Power (the orange one) is kickass. It vibrates slightly, letting you cut deeper and smoother. Its kickass.

Plus, it amuses me. Sit it on the counter and turn it on, it'll vibrate itself off the counter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930

Caution: Heavy use of profanity.
    If you had a million Shakespeares, could they write like a monkey?

Beans

disposable bic razors. These are not the really cheap ones, just the semi-cheap ones.
    similar to therse ones only in a green packet and have 'sensitive' rather then 'comfort'
    Last edited by slimdog360; August 11th, 2007 at 09:37 AM.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Talking Re: What razor do you folks use?

Just cheap plastic disposable razors of any brand and origin

With double blades always.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am unable to use a razor, the razor burn is just too much... my whole neck ends up looking like it is covered in pimples...

The solution i found is to use the moustache trimmer on an electric razor for my neck... So now, I always have a slight amount of stubble on my neck. At least it doesn't itch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thumbs down Re: What razor do you folks use?

Quote Originally Posted by frup View Post
    I am unable to use a razor, the razor burn is just too much... my whole neck ends up looking like it is covered in pimples...

The solution i found is to use the moustache trimmer on an electric razor for my neck... So now, I always have a slight amount of stubble on my neck. At least it doesn't itch.
    The classic way to avoid this is to wet your face with a lot of warm to hot water in order to soften your face's skin. After this, shaving becomes much more easy without burns, cuts or (brrrrrrr!) blood!! Are you doing this?

Beans

I cant help it but I buy every new razor Gillette puts out, now I use a Gillette Fusion. I know I'm a dork but I just cant help myself buying every nre razor in the store.

Hi I'm Fredrik and I'm a razor addict.
    Try the beautiful Enlightenment17 distro OzOS. | Easy way to install Enlightenment17 from CVS.
    Thanks Rui Pai for all you work intergrating this beautiful Desktop Shell with Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frup View Post

i used to have the same problem. Now I leave a day between shaves, use this stuff
    http://www.trishave.com/
    and I also only ever use a razor once then throw it out. That trishave stuff is fantastic, I think its the teatree oil which is the magic.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast