Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I love Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Talking Why I love Ubuntu

To go along with the Why I hate Ubuntu thread, here's the Why I love Ubunbut thread. I'll start:

• It runs. Very well
    • I had used Debian for a long time on servers previously and now I can run a rock solid derivative on my own personal machines with the same reliability.
    • The community is great and it's so easy to get involved with development.
    • It obviously has great potential.

Beans

Re: Why I love Ubuntu

Why I like Ubuntu:

- User Friendly
    - Gnome by default
    - Based on Debian (my second favourite distro, Ubuntu being #1)
    - Good community
    - Large Repositories
    - Comes with mostly all the packages I need
    - Fast
    - Easy to customize
    - Detected all my hardware with minimal work in the terminal
    - Fast, and simple installer
    - Fits on one CD
    - Has a lot of potential

Beans

For me

ONE DAY ONLY to replace a Suse server (home use) and get a usable desktop as well.

Excellent range of repositories and software.

Good communication with developers
    Look in my eyes, what do you see....?
    The cult of personality

Registered Linux User #87817

manicka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by desdinova
    For me

ONE DAY ONLY to replace a Suse server (home use) and get a usable desktop as well.

Excellent range of repositories and software.

Good communication with developers
    Exact same scenario for me, Just love Ubunutu

Beans

All of those tasty Debian packages!!!

(my motto- "installing programs from source is the devil.")

Nice brown themes!!

Lack of buggy GUI tools!!!

And you guys and gals, the community.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Gnome and gnome. A focused desktop that comes with an almost perfect selection of default apps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I love Ubuntu cuz:

It's fast; (I tried Xandros; that is a really slow distro).
    Ease of use.
    Looks great.
    The name and the meaning of it.
    And last but not least: The community.
    Free your mind...

Beans

This seems like a good thread to post my first message in.

A few months ago when Hoary wasn't yet finished I downloaded the Warty LiveCD, tried it and liked it immediately. So I decided to get rid of my Mandrake 10.1 Community and install Ubuntu. It installed nicely, but when I booted the OS for the first time it failed to start X, nagging about my graphics card or something (it's GF 6600GT). I tried to mess with XFree86.conf but Warty didn't accept my beloved su command and told me to use sudo. That was it for me, I thought: if I'm already having problems it's not worth it getting it to work.

I was trying a lot of distros back then to find the perfect Linux, so I constantly kept an eye on the new releases. So when Hoary came out I thought I'd give Ubuntu another try, and damn, that time it did work and I haven't been looking for a new distro after that. I've also grown to like sudo now, and I don't want to go back to using su.

Ubuntu is the first distro I have used that isn't RPM-based and KDE-based. I always wanted to try Debian because I knew the package management was superior to RPM, but when I looked at Debian.org I saw that the last stable version was years old (a huge turn-off to an average user like me). The reason I doubted Gnome is because years ago I had tried both Gnome and KDE in Red Hat 6, and Gnome just sucked back then. Well, not anymore, Gnome has made some excellent progress.

Apt-get is the #1 reason why I love Ubuntu, along the fact that the distro fits on one cd. I have a 100Mbit Internet connection so it's obvious that I like to install even the huge apps directly from the online repositories instead of messing with cds. No more dependency hells; I remember having to install 10 or so RPMs just to get one frickin' application working. Sure, apt-get/dpkg has dependencies too, but they are almost always handled automatically.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Why do I like it.. hmm..
    Not because of gnome... no, I don't even use it...
    Not because of synaptic... I don't even use it.. (I use aptitude and apt-get)
    I don't even like it on desktops... and it's been failing me as a laptop distro (IPv6 breaks Cisco Aironet wireless cards)...
    I donno. It's just nice. It's a clean distrobution that does a lot of things right and just simply works.
    I'm going to have to recompile my kernel on the laptop to get wifi to work... but that's not really a big deal to me at all...

Ubuntu is what I thought Debian was going to be when I first started using it. Not to say there's anything wrong with Debian... I used it religiously for a very long time and probably still would if I had a desktop computer right now (Alas, I have only my laptops and a server... Both laptops are Ubuntu and the server is Fedora C3)...

I think I just like how simple it was to install and I like it's clean and refined apt repos more than Debians hay-wire ones. (They were haywire in my opinion, I donno. Too much uncertainty).
    And I even say that with the knowledge that I for a long time used Breezy. I felt that was more stable than Debian had been getting.

I'll probably revisit Debian at the next major release but for now... Ubuntu for my laptops and... well... I don't know what I'll use on desktops.
    Not ubuntu though, tried that, didn't work hehehe.

- Kev
    17.10 on several Linode instances.
    Tech Support for some US based cell carrier or another.
    Husband, dog and fish father, navigator of immigration law.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

* As per desdinova, I was able to get a fully functional box within a day, after completely frying my previous MDK10.1 box (and that took me weeks to get just right). Fast easy install, perfect hardware detection.

* Slick, fast and polished gnome interface. "Gnome done right".

* Easily configurable and upgradeable (apt-get is a joy after rpm).

* Excellent community. Probably the best I've yet encountered. Hardly any whingers, lots of constructive discussions and help.

* Let's not forget the ubuntuguide, probably the best and most important linux help document ever written.

* I love the spirit of altruism which Mark Shuttleworth has instilled into ubuntu. Using it doesn't make me feel like a cog in someone's business plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast