Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Programming

Hello:

Just wanted to know which members of our group are interested in programing, learning a programming language or doing anything related to software development.

Mike

Beans

Re: Programing

I don't know a darn thing about programming, but I like to sit in IRC and pretend that I do while I soak up what you guys talk about. lol

Beans

I write a lot of code and am happy to teach and learn. Most skilled with C/C++ and python. Can read/hack php, c#, java, ruby, vb.net, shell script, sql, x86 assembly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I plan to learn it someday. I'm just not sure what to focus on yet. Seems like every seven years, it's something different. C+++, Java, Python, HTML, Perl, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, php. Right now, I'm focusing on the basics; Linux, LAMP, A+, Networking, Network Security, Computer Forensics. I'll get into programming eventually.

I'll sit in IRC with you guys and pretend I know something, like Bordy.
    I'm not lazy! I'm a Personal Energy Conservationist!
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

What did you have in mind exactly?

I haven't done any programming for some time; my favorite language was 'C' and I've been involved with Perl (mostly), PHP(still learning), Javascript(familiar with), and although technically not programming languages HTML and CSS.
    Disclaimer: Aint nuthin right in my left brain and nuthin left in the right

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hello:

The objective here was to exchange ideas about computer programming in general and it seems to be working. Right now I am getting comfortable with the Ubuntu environment as my main operating system, in order to be able to help people switch open source software.

I am experiencing some minor problems with the way that I have gotten used using handling images and writing documents with some of the open source applications. However these are minor problems that can quickly overcome keeping in mind the cost of Office 2007, Windows 2003, XP and Vista to do the same things. I was never big on Photoshop (too expensive) and used a collection of Image Processing Applications that included paint and a couple that I wrote myself based on the LeadTools Developer Toolkit (also expensive).

I am sure the GIMP can do all these things for me and more, and since my application is old it should run fine with wine. However it's easier to just fire-up XP to hack around with pictures or install those applications on my Windows 2003 system and remote login to it.

Back to the programming thing, right now I am looking for everything that I need to develop code to run web based applications. So I was wondering if anyone in our group was interested in doing the same thing.

I have setup a prototype installation of mediawiki at the following URI:

http://Wiki.GS

Keep in mind that I am calling a prototype, since it's running on a development system. That means that it may be down for a while, when I am running a different operating system on that machine at the time.

Also, the term "prototype" means that it will not be the operational software, so anything that is placed on the prototype goes into the "bit-bucket" (i.e gone forever) at any time and without any notice. So if you post something, keep a copy if you want to post it when the site becomes operational. Otherwise think of it as a "wiki sandbox" and just have some fun with it.

Note: Please observe copyright laws and don't post anything that they would print in "New York" magazine or [if you never read "New York"] that they wouldn't show on television.

Peace

Mike
    OnA1A at earthlink dot net
    Last edited by feravolo; March 30th, 2007 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Correct Grammer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Sounds like fun, be warned however I am a bit rusty.

I find all Television disturbing
    Disclaimer: Aint nuthin right in my left brain and nuthin left in the right

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

im trying to learn (i stress trying ) Python as its used widely in ubuntu so if anyone has any knowledge of that i might be interested in buggin you occassionally with silly questions hehe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I've got experience with C, Java, Python, and Haskell. Can't say I'm particularly interested in web programming, its just not my thing, but anything to do with systems or application development I find interesting.
    Student / Developer | Registered Linux User: 356244 | Registered FSF Member: 5697
    "My cat" is not a float. Every string should learn to swim.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Programming

I would like to learn python, I know other languages but I would like to learn it, also Ruby would be pretty cool to learn.
    Rey Angeles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast