Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Maple Story on Ubuntu SUCCESS

Beans

Re: Maple Story on Ubuntu SUCCESS

ok after some testing I'm not sure if 64bit architecture was my issue, but in a 32bit environment i have discovered the host screen resolution effects the performance greatly.
    I'm not sure why the host resolution makes any difference at all but it does. guest resolution seems to not matter at all on the performance front.

i tested the following resolutions at their default refresh rates:
    ----
    1440x900 (my monitor's preferred resolution)
    1280x800
    1152x864
    1024x768 (this resolution was the only one that provided playable results with only minor graphical glitches)
    832x624
    800x600 (the game's forced resolution which is unchangeable)
    ----
    my system specs are :
    (host)
    Asus M2V motherboard
    AMD athalon 64 3500+
    1gig ddr
    Nvidia Geforce 7600
    ubuntu feisty 7.04
    (guest)
    vmware-player 2.0
    Windows XP service pack 2
    768m ram

Beans

This works even on ATI cards. I have tested it over and over. Sorry for reviving this thread but it's worth reviving just because it's the gateway to some other games too, like FF7 and 8 for PC, which still won't run in WINE, VMWare will auto-disable these settings if you don't see something like this when you type glxinfo

glxinfo
    name of display: :0.0
    display: :0 screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes

Fixing that is easy for nvidia cards by just getting the driver, setting it as executable then rebooting into a console login to run it.

It is possible that direct rendering says yes, but the driver is still not installed properly, particularly in ATI cards. The new 8.40.6 version is a bust for my ATI card, producing a black screen on login and causing other versions when rolling back to yield same results until components are removed manually... or with this handy little script after removing the driver with normal method
    http://kanotix.com/files/install-fglrx-debian.sh This will remove traces of the previous driver commonly left over and download and install the new when invoked from a console login. Since it goes with the new version which is crap even when manually installed you'll invoke it with a -v option eg sudo sh install-fglrx-debian.sh -v 8.39.4 which actually gets a good driver version. I used to recommend running ATI's script and then fixing a few symbolic links but this is now my recommended foolproof method for installing the driver. It does everything the ATI script should have done for you and that nvidia's already does.

Lastly, just for best stability and speed, I recommend Windows 2000 as guest. It plays very nice with VMWare and is the closest thing Microsoft has to a good OS overall.

Beans

First, most people dont have the cpu to run vmware. So when people say maplestory doesnt run on linux, they mean they cant get it to run on "linux" not a emulated windows

Of course maplestory will work with vmware.. ITS WINDOWS!

We want gameguard to actually work with Ubuntu + wine/cedega

If you can get that to work, then props to you

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I used www.easyvmx.com to create my VM... I picked Intel 1000 pro as the network card, but that doesn't seem to work. It gave me 3 choices: Intel 1000 pro, vlance and vmxnet. Which one should I have picked?

Beans

I followed your directions but I can't get Maple Story to run on my Virtual Machine. Maple Story starts up, Game Guard starts up, but then all I get is a black screen and I get no response from sending "crtl alt del" command. Only thing I can do is reboot.

My host machine is a Dell Inspiron 5100 with a Radeon 7500 graphics card, Running Windows XP Pro. It has 512MB RAM, and 2.66 GHz processor.

Upon boot up, my virtual machine gives the following message:
    Failed to Construct OpenGL rendering backend
    The 3-D features of the display card will be disabled.

However, when running dxdiag, it claims 3d acceleration is "enabled"

What can I do?

Beans

does anyone check this thread?

i've got windows 2k running through vmware to play a couple post scumm games like grim fandango and torins passage.
    i got maple story installed (and vmware tools and directx) but when i start it up gamegaurd fails evertiime GameGaurd: Error Initilizing 114...

any ideas why? everything else seems ot work fine, maybe its just 2k?

nikoPSK is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

unfortunately thats not on ubuntu. It's just in xp.

Beans

I'm installing Maple Story now, not sure if it is going to work. However, for those out there not sure how to install VMware, I found this tutorial most helpful,

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=183209

After that, come back to this tutorial here and follow the instructions to enable 3D.

Beans

I did everything, when I open Maple Story and hit the play button, Gameguard launches, then when the game is about to launch one of two things happen. 1) The screen goes full screen and black, 2) I get a BSOD and Windows restarts.

What is the problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

, unfortunately, you can only legally run the full version of VMWare for 30 days without giving them money .
    I think that you could use VMware player after setting up XP with the workstation to keep it working after 30 days.

Dell XPS15 L501X i5, Nvidia 420M
    Acer Aspire 8735G

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast