Hello everyone. I am a current Xubuntu Edgy user and I am contemplating a switch to Slackware Linux.

First off, a brief history of my Linux experience. I started with SuSE Linux on a suggestion from a friend and successfully used it for about 2 weeks before I decided it was too much like Win XP to be worth permanent use. After that I looked for a new disto on my own and found Ubuntu. I installed Ubuntu Warty (IIRC) and used it for quite some time, learning how to get around in Linux using the terminal and whatnot. I upgraded to Breezy when it came out and used it for another while.

After spending some time with Breezy I decided I wanted to try something more advanced. I grabbed a Gentoo Minimal Install CD and followed the guide, configured my own kernel manually and had a successful install. Feeling very proud of myself, I used Gentoo for a month over the summer when I had plenty of time to maintain it. I eventually decided that maintaining Gentoo would be too time consuming to use it during the school year, and I switched back to Ubuntu Dapper (IIRC). From that point I moved to Xubuntu Edgy and here I am today. I enjoy XFCE much more than GNOME. It feels much snappier to me.

Although I like Xubuntu more than Ubuntu, I still want more simplicity. That brings me around to Slackware. I haven't actually done any research on it myself, but I know it follows the KISS philosophy, and is one of the oldest remaining distros. I understand it will be more work than Xubuntu. I would like to see it put in perspective with Gentoo. Is it more work? Does it take as long to install as Gentoo?

Thanks for your time and assistance,
OlineSixtyOne