Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What advice would you give to women who think Linux is "hard"?

Beans

What advice would you give to women who think Linux is "hard"?

I'm currently talking to various people online about Linux, there appears to be a reasonable amount of women who are 25+ who use the internet in their day-to-day life... I have to say, 100% of them think that computing in general is "hard" and think Linux is even worse. They all seem to have the same opinions: computing is hard, linux sounds weird and confusing, they don't want to try installing Linux and they have never even seen Linux.

If they knew me in real life, they would have no problem letting me install Linux on an old computer as a demonstration, however like I said I'm talking online - none of them live anywhere near me so I can't show them what Linux is like and they won't try it out themselves.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming you're a woman...

- Do you find Linux hard to install, setup and configure?
    - Do you find Linux hard to use?
    - Have you had someone install it for you or help you out to do stuff?
    - Does it meet your needs?
    - Would you consider it a good alternative to Vista?

Also, don't just answer the questions, what I'm looking for is an overview of what you think about Linux. How much *** does it kick? Is it really that "nerdy" and "hard" as people claim it is? Would you recommend it to other women as a good alternative to Vista? ... just write about your experience and how you found it compared to Windows - you could also write a direct message as I might send this thread to other people. You don't have to answer my questions, those are really just for suggestions.

- Thanks for your support!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: What advice would you give to women who think Linux is "hard"?

Quote Originally Posted by some_random_noob View Post
    If they knew me in real life, they would have no problem letting me install Linux on an old computer as a demonstration, however like I said I'm talking online - none of them live anywhere near me so I can't show them what Linux is like and they won't try it out themselves.
    Isn't this why there are live cds? No need to install anything.

I'm not a woman, so this is my cue to stop interrupting.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePenguin View Post
    Isn't this why there are live cds? No need to install anything.

I'm not a woman, so this is my cue to stop interrupting.
    um... seriously? The broadband is slow ^&^%$(*ing slow in New Zealand that no one would dare waste their bandwidth on something that might not even be worth it.

I asked for opinions so that I can show others this thread - that way people can read the opinions of Linux users. Downloading a live cd is a bit um... well, I want non-Linux users to hear advice straight from Linux users. No one will just use a live cd - but if someone knows that other people use Linux and read their experiences... then... that makes more sense doesn't it?

Beans

I'm a guy, but i usually find that if women are taunted, they do anything they want just sat something like "oh pff...you just find it hard because you're a woman, you're inferior"

You'll get the crap beat out of you, and she'll never talk to you again, unless she calls you to tell you that she is using Linux with Beryl running

(not a serious post though)
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raul_ View Post
    I'm a guy, but i usually find that if women are taunted, they do anything they want just sat something like "oh pff...you just find it hard because you're a woman, you're inferior"

You'll get the crap beat out of you, and she'll never talk to you again, unless she calls you to tell you that she is using Linux with Beryl running

(not a serious post though)
    Thanks for wasting my time with a completely useless post, I really needed that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

(Also not a woman)

I can't see this as a true women's issue. There are plenty of men who take the same "it's too hard" approach to Linux. Sure the proportions may differ between the sexes, but it strikes me as a common attitude all around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yeah, live CDs is what it's all about. They can get one mailed to them free. That's what the mailing thing is there for. They try it out and decide for themselves. If it's too different from Windows, then they should stick with what works for them. Also, I agree with the previous poster that the woman thing is more or less irrelevant. I've long since learned that it's not worth forcing things on anyone without their interest.

Anyway, being a woman I'll answer your questions, but I don't think it will be helpful:

- Do you find Linux hard to install, setup and configure?
    No harder than Windows was to set up and configure certainly, but I don't think people who use computers as tools only are interested in doing any set up and configuration. I don't really see why they should be.

- Do you find Linux hard to use?
    No. I find it more intuitive than other operating systems I've used. If it wasn't, I wouldn't use it.

- Have you had someone install it for you or help you out to do stuff?
    My computer Mine! Google helps some

- Does it meet your needs?
    95% of my needs (mostly internetting). The other 5% are met by Win2K running CS2 for campus magazine layout design.

- Would you consider it a good alternative to Vista?
    Haven't used Vista. From what I've seen, I think it will confuse a lot of people, so yes, I would consider Ubuntu to be a good alternative as far as less confusing. Whether it's a good alternative for XP or Win2K depends on what a person is used to using, whether they're willing to learn, and what programs they need to run.

- Phi
    Last edited by -Phi-; February 1st, 2007 at 05:24 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by some_random_noob View Post
    Thanks for wasting my time with a completely useless post, I really needed that.
    I was counting on your capacity of understading the point but ok, here it is:

They say that they can't, but they can. If they don't want it, that's another story. Hand them a Live CD and say "Browse!!". It's normal that they don't want to install it, probably they didn't even install Windows, it came with the computer. I think Ubuntu is just complicated if you want to do your tweaks. If you leave it alone it's just straightforward.

Again, be annoying, ask why they find it difficult, convince them that is not, give them graphical guide instead of saying things like repositories, packages, kernel, text editor, tool, blablabla. Have an expert set her computer up, just like she got her Windows set up too.
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Do you find Linux hard to install, setup and configure? It was very easy to install... the setup and configuration took a little bit of work and there were times when it frustrated me but the community is large and helpful and I had everything set up within a day or two.

Do you find Linux hard to use? Nope

Have you had someone install it for you or help you out to do stuff? Nope, I installed it and set it up myself ^^

Does it meet your needs? All except for some PC gaming that I do, but I use a Windows comp for that (I have two computers; I use my Windows computer mostly for gaming, and Linux for... basically everything else, because I prefer it.)

Would you consider it a good alternative to Vista? I don't know because I haven't tried Vista =P But I think it gives XP a run for its money, so I assume it will stand up to Vista pretty well too.

Also, don't just answer the questions, what I'm looking for is an overview of what you think about Linux. How much *** does it kick? Is it really that "nerdy" and "hard" as people claim it is? Would you recommend it to other women as a good alternative to Vista? ... just write about your experience and how you found it compared to Windows - you could also write a direct message as I might send this thread to other people. You don't have to answer my questions, those are really just for suggestions.
    I think Linux is kinda nerdy but honestly that was one of its major draws for me... I love being a nerd and wanted to broaden my nerd horizons. I don't think it's hard, Ubuntu anyway... I think it helps to be at least "okay" with computers but you don't have to be a computer genius or anything at all. I would definitely recommend it to anybody as a good alternative to Windows. ^^ I prefer it to Windows overall, it's cleaner, more secure, more customizable, and it's free. And there's a lot of great stuff that I really appreciate... for example, the terminal might seem kind of scary at first, but it's so easy to just punch in "install [insert program here]" and it does it for you. So yeah anyway, I'm a girl who has had largely good experiences with Linux, and I plan on exploring it even more in the future!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Well although I'm not a woman, my wife is (gasp!). She doesn't get the choice of what to use at home (it's all Linux) or what to use at work (it's all Windows). She doesn't find Ubuntu that much different from Windows in terms of intuitiveness; it's certainly no LESS intuitive than Windows. But neither does she concern herself much with issues of OS installation or maintenance. So between us we satisfy the gender stereotypes with respect to computer use.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast