Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Customized Ubuntu-Ohio branded CDs

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Customized Ubuntu-Ohio branded CDs

Scott Merill (skippy) has a LightScribe DVD/CD burner. He showed me some discs he made, and they look pretty sweet.

Beans

If you havent already..check out 'reconstructor' ..its exactly what you need. allows you to roll your own distro with anything and everything you could dream of in it..so easy a 12 year old could make their own custom live dvd/cd's

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by jacobmp92 View Post
    The only real problem is getting them onto CDs. It was mentioned in IRC that Lightscribe drives could be used, however they are monochromatic and the ink is expensive. It still seems like a feasible option though.
    Lightscribe is monochromatic, but I believe you meant the media is expensive. It doesn't use any ink as it etches the image directly onto the special surface of Lightscribe media. I just looked on Newegg and they have Verbatim 30 packs for $15 - not too terrible, about 50 cents each, but not as cheap as plain old CD-Rs.

When all is said and done though, it'd be a lot easier and cheaper than using labeling software, buying the labels, printing labels (unless you have a color laser, ink is expensive!), putting them on the CDs, etc. - it'd be a lot more than 50 cents / CD. I don't have a LightScribe burner or I'd offer to make the disks if that's the route we decide on, but I'd pitch in to buy some media.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

My and my business partner buy and resell computers, and computer hardware. One thing we offer with the sale of complete PC is a load of Kubuntu or Ubuntu on the machine with all the stuff you'd ever need.

If you want Windows, then you have to provide it and I'll charge you accordingly for my time...

I have a MASSIVE HP Color laser printer that we acquired on a skid of PCs. It's currently sitting up in my office, doing nothing.

I'd be more than happy to run off a bunch of labels, provided the labels where provided to me or something. Once the toner is used up, the printer will be sold, unless I can find more toner for cheap. Currently, the toners are practically brand new, and the fuser is too, so I don't mind using it.. plus I have 3 more for parts.

Just let me know. I'm new here, but I certainly want to help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by netboy541 View Post
    My and my business partner buy and resell computers, and computer hardware. One thing we offer with the sale of complete PC is a load of Kubuntu or Ubuntu on the machine with all the stuff you'd ever need.

If you want Windows, then you have to provide it and I'll charge you accordingly for my time...

I have a MASSIVE HP Color laser printer that we acquired on a skid of PCs. It's currently sitting up in my office, doing nothing.

I'd be more than happy to run off a bunch of labels, provided the labels where provided to me or something. Once the toner is used up, the printer will be sold, unless I can find more toner for cheap. Currently, the toners are practically brand new, and the fuser is too, so I don't mind using it.. plus I have 3 more for parts.

Just let me know. I'm new here, but I certainly want to help.
    Sounds great! I (and whoever else wants to help) can get started on the labels sometime this week.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

PM me if you want my ship-to address and I'll run 'em..
    Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand.
    My Blog / My Kubuntu Help Blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12