Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's this all about?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: What's this all about?

Hey all, I guess an introduction is in order.

I'm a new Linux user (I did try Mandrake 8.1 - 10.1 a few years back) and after a few years hiatus from using Linux--I went back to Windows 98 at the time--I have to say that Ubuntu is my distro-o-choice. I've tried Mandriva, Fedora, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Dream Linux, and recently OpenSuSe all on live CD/DVDs. That concept is something that Microsoft has yet to accomplish! Will we ever see Vista on a Live CD? Anyways, after my return to GNU/Linux, I've only installed two distros: Ubuntu (Edgy) and Linux Mint http://www.linuxmint.com. The ease of use of the package manager and the vast variety of alternative applications available is definitely a factor that is allowing me to dump the old OS and bring in the new. Ubuntu is a operating system "that just works" and if progress continues it will be a large rival to the more dominant MS Windows in the future.

I live in the Holladay/Murray area and am a student at the University of Utah. Long live Ubuntu, FOSS, and GNU/Linux!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kuyaedz View Post
    We'd love to see all of you at our upcoming planned meeting. Jan 13th, 3:00pm - 6:00pm at the SLC Library. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UtahTeam/Meetings for details.
    Looks like I missed the meeting. Maybe next time though.

Quote Originally Posted by kuyaedz View Post
    snowpalmer - by the way, WoW can be played within Ubuntu with little trouble. Come find me at the meet and I'll set you up
    Not on my laptop. I have gotten it to work but performance is not playable and locks up quite often. I got it to work fairly well on another machine but I don't have ubuntu installed there anymore ( wife's computer )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frijolie View Post
    I live in the Holladay/Murray area and am a student at the University of Utah. Long live Ubuntu, FOSS, and GNU/Linux!
    Cool. I'm looking into University of Utah for my MBA. So far it's my top choice. Byu is a bit more expensive and the other schools aren't nearly close enough (Weber State, Utah State, ??)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Since we are all introducing ourselves...
    I'm Mark from Layton and just discoved ubuntu from a CNet article last month. Bought a book (Beginning Ubuntu Linux) and burned a few ISO images. Can't believe what fun I am having. It is like the old days with Apple 2's and programming in Pascal. I will try to make it to the next meeting!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gillis View Post
    Since we are all introducing ourselves...
    I'm Mark from Layton and just discoved ubuntu from a CNet article last month. Bought a book (Beginning Ubuntu Linux) and burned a few ISO images. Can't believe what fun I am having. It is like the old days with Apple 2's and programming in Pascal. I will try to make it to the next meeting!
    Cool! Nice to meet you.

Our next meeting is on Mar 10 (tomorrow, actually) at the SLC library at 3pm. We'll be discussing gaming. See you there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12